• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Would Paul Do?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Suppose EM was offered full funding and the vehicle would be built to the current specifications for performance, quality and safety. But, the vehicle had to be built in China and imported to America.

Would Paul Elio accept the offer or let the project die?

What do you think he should do?

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It violates the key principle he was trying to prove. You don't need to build it overseas for it to be successful. So if the did that, would prove the opposite of what he is setting out to do.

Samuel Gompers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMHO, the better question would be: If an American company took the Elio concept and built a fuel-efficient gas 3-wheeler from scratch with an MSRP of $18k, and a Chinese company took the Elio concept and built a fuel-efficient gas 3-wheeler from scratch with an MSRP of $12k, which would you buy, if either?

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMHO, the better question would be: If an American company took the Elio concept and built a fuel-efficient gas 3-wheeler from scratch with an MSRP of $18k, and a Chinese company took the Elio concept and built a fuel-efficient gas 3-wheeler from scratch with an MSRP of $12k, which would you buy, if either?
Wouldn't buy the Chinese version no matter what the price. Not likely to buy an American version for $18k. At $18k it would be like all the other vehicles made – that being overpriced for what it is. Build it for $7-$9k and I'd buy two of them.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can buy a new Nissan Micra for 8k US here. Would not consider either one.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio is dead to me, but hope YOU take delivery someday. I bought the Arcimoto FUV (anticipated delivery July/August 2019 forward looking statement) after following Elio for a decade of delay, delay, delay, and still no test drive Elio or progress, but something to think about:
Both Tesla ($35K) and Arcimoto ($11,900) delayed offering their most affordable base model vehicles and forced to roll out fully optioned models to insure a level of profitability at a time when a company is burning through cash to get a new vehicle to market. Arcimoto, “We can’t initially offer $11,900 base model FUVs at a loss, or won’t be able to stay in business. We are planning to offer the base model later when production scale allows it. Thanks for understanding.” I wasn’t happy about either announcement, but it is understandable business logic.

Do you seriously think EM could honor the $500 +- discounts on the base model or even a fully a loaded Elio offered to lock-in reservationists, based on the already low profit margins on the first 65,000 vehicles to roll off the assembly line and stay in business?

The bigger question is, if Elio made it to the production start line and the only way they could start production was to waive the discounts and offer a $15-20K fully loaded Elio would you buy it?

Last edited:

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio is dead to me, but hope YOU take delivery someday. I bought the Arcimoto FUV (anticipated delivery July/August 2019 forward looking statement) after following Elio for a decade of delay, delay, delay, and still no test drive Elio or progress, but something to think about:
Both Tesla ($35K) and Arcimoto ($11,900) delayed offering their most affordable base model vehicles and forced to roll out fully optioned models to insure a level of profitability at a time when a company is burning through cash to get a new vehicle to market. Arcimoto, “We can’t sell vehicles at a loss, or won’t be able to stay in business. We are planning to offer the base model when production scale allows it. Thanks for understanding.” I wasn’t happy about either announcement, but it is understandable business logic.

Do you seriously think EM could honor the $500 +- discounts on the base model or even a fully a loaded Elio offered to lock-in reservationists, based on the already low profit margins on the first 65,000 vehicles to roll off the assembly line and stay in business?

The bigger question is, if Elio made it to the production start line and the only way they could start production was to waive the discounts and offer a $15-20K fully loaded Elio would you buy it?
You are right. Elio spent the deposits and could not sell at that price. If Elio makes it into production, there is no way they could honour reservations. I think that they will form a new company and start from scratch. Until Paul is gone nothing will happen.

Samuel Gompers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Both Tesla ($35K) and Arcimoto ($11,900) delayed offering their most affordable base model vehicles and forced to roll out fully optioned models to insure a level of profitability at a time when a company is burning through cash to get a new vehicle to market. Arcimoto, “We can’t sell $11,900 base model FUVs at a loss, or won’t be able to stay in business. We are planning to offer the base model later when production scale allows it. Thanks for understanding.” I wasn’t happy about either announcement, but it is understandable business logic.

Did you buy an Arcimoto, or just pay for one? I was unaware that any of the Evergreens had been delivered. I hope you get one soon, as you have been waiting for a trike for a long time now.

I've been through all of the classic stages of grief over the death of Elio Motors, and have been in the acceptance stage for years now. This thread is really a discussion for those in the bargaining stage.

Top Bottom