• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Weight Limits And Center Of Gravity?

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was reading on another thread about designing reverse trikes. There was a concern about the center of gravity on the Elio being too far back with two occupants and a full tank of gas. Apparently reverse trikes can become unstable at speed if the majority of the weight is not near the front axle. I wonder if there will be occupant weight limits and towing limits too since the tongue weight would effect the center of gravity...

Anyone have any insight into this issue?

tenbsmith

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure there will be cargo and towing weight limits. Every car I've owned has them in the manual. It also makes sense that it one should avoid loading a lot of weight in the back of a reverse trike. I can't say exactly what those limits will be. I do recall reading about a man over 6 foot and 230 pounds fitting comfortably in the Elio.

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the interior is actually quite roomy. At 6' tall, I fit easily in both the front and back of the P3. My knee did come close to the lower dash, but did not touch, so space isn't the issue. My concern is weight.

I read that if the Center of Mass of a reverse trike is located too far onto the back wheel, it would handle squirrely.

The Elio trike has a near even 33% weight distribution on each wheel and I will, for the sake of ease, assume that means with a full fuel tank. However, I wonder what happens when a 180 pound driver, a 250 pound passenger, plus 25 pounds of stuff stuffed into the trunk/cubby are all loaded onto the Elio. This will definitely shift the CG towards the back. Will it handle correctly on the highway? With a trailer, it would have an additional 25 pounds of downward force from tongue weight located even further back. A hitch with a stabilizer could help prevent sway, and that might be better than running without a trailer.

I ask these questions because I see the Elio as a fun/inexpensive way to tour across the USA, but not if it cannot safely handle any baggage or the weight of two people.

outtaget1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I can't believe how hard some folks conjure,
To pitch a curve ball strike,
Like the lot of handy hooligans,
Throwing crap at poor Paul's cuty trike.

They,, the birthers of this concept,
Have never mentioned tour,
So those that strive to clench thru said,
Are plumb full of manure.

Which, by golly, reminds me of a lesson,
Not many have been treated to,
I think I should enter it here,
If the admin. will let it thru.

In good ole days of ancient past,
All things exported traveled by ship,
Even fertilizer, manure, thereby made its trip,
It was dried however, to make it lighter,
And allow a larger salable product to the taker,
But if in storm, water was taken on,
The load not only took on weight,
But began to ferment and give off methane gas,
When a sailor went to dark and dreary hold,
With lit candle in his hand,
Boom she said, destructively,
Taking all to the promised land..

Many a boat and sailor perished,
Till the cause was understood,
And then the order and practice,
Was posted, where er' it should or could.
'Stow high in transit' was the verbage,
Quite often shortened to 'S.H.I.T',
Was posted on the product, so water taken on,
Would not get UP to IT...

Yep,, that is where the word dun comed from,
To describe the explosive load,
A lot like the conjure of conspiring minds,
That post crap here,,
Just to blow....

I sure hope everyone feels a little smarter after reading this piece,, and a few will understand this project
will carry on just fine without their volatile fermentation...

Go Elio
JS

outtaget1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't know why people get so angry with others ask intelligent and important questions...

I asked and received an answer directly from Elio Motors; "It is designed for two people 220 lbs. each".
Amen that,,, no need to say any more.... Oh,, wait a minute,, in reference to the order of posts,,, I guess one could have qualified the answer,,
with: this car not designed to be a tour bus...
But, as I search back,,, no need to do that either, cause you were answering your own question....
hmmmmmm could that qualify as conjure????
Ok,,, I give up,, but must tell you,, nobody is mad,,, just trying to stop negativity. Paul and his boys have it all figured out...

Go Elio,
JS

tenbsmith

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks KScarguy, good question, and good info from Elio. 220lbs front and read is pretty generous. I guess you'd want to avoid 200lb in the front 240lb in the back or the like.

Regarding using it for touring, it seems a bit small to me. Plus I like sitting next to my fellow traveler. OTOH, if you tour on motorcycles you used to packing light and sitting front and rear.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Commuter folks, as intended, not ideal for cross country touring where your 4- wheeler should be used!

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Designed for" and eventual use, have proven over time, not to be mutually exclusive. Look at the VW Beetle. For a single person, the Elio would make an inexpensive 'tourer', and allow them to travel distances and places their budget might not have allowed. With a small motorcycle camping trailer.... it would open a vast array of National Parks! So; USE IT AS YOU WOULD LIKE!

Top Bottom