• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Traction Control System

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since 2012 NHTSA has required stability control on all cars and trucks manufactured and sold in the US. It's commonly built on top of the ABS system, so it only requires a couple of accelerometers and a little additional computer capability. Traction control is another matter - used only during acceleration. I agree with wheaters, it's probably not necessary on the Elio, although it might appear as a part of the package at some point.

That "manufactured and sold" clause is kinda interesting. For example, I understand that several domestic automakers that sell in the US actually manufacture many of their models in Mexico to take advantage (for now) of lower labor rates. But all of the airbags, stability control, and environmental requirements make US-spec cars uncompetitive in the Latin American market, so at least one manufacturer (Chrysler) runs separate assembly lines for US and "export" models - the difference being about $3K in MSRP - without most of the safety and EPA hardware. I rather suspect other marques are doing the same thing around the world. Back in the '60's NASCAR teams didn't admit to cheating on tech inspections . . . they called it "gettin' competitive". :rolleyes:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Traction control is another matter - used only during acceleration. I agree with wheaters, it's probably not necessary on the Elio, although it might appear as a part of the package at some point.
:rolleyes:

I don't understand the might part .... once again, going back to this link ==> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66808721/Elio_Poster 10_01_14.pdf <== a Traction Control System is one item on a list under the heading of, "What do you get for $6,800?" ..... on my Chevy truck the Traction Control System manages the power to the rear tires to help prevent them losing traction

Jim

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's not forget our friends in the northern climes who must deal with glare ice. A few years ago I read an article in a car mag (don't recall which one) on a test they did on the then new electronic traction control. The test used 2 Corvettes on solid glare ice. Both launched at WOT. Vette 1 with traction control was passing through 60 MPH by the time Vette 2 without traction control had moved a few inches. Vette 2 had actually moved farther sideways than it had forward. Yes it works.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget with such a light car, a heavy passenger will shift the Cg backwards. ESC is a critical safety item for the Elio.

You'd be a dang fool to drive one in inclement weather carrying a passenger without it.

Top Bottom