• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Digital Horizon: Engine Control

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We've talked about the Elio's engine design and its contribution to its economical fuel consumption - and we've thought about the leading edge engine sensors that will generate the data for our dashboard displays in real time. But where is this technology leading? There is a marriage of new engine electronics that will be part of future Engine Control Modules that's just over the horizon. If you want a preview, look at the aviation industry. Just as single panel LED instrument displays were pioneered in commercial aviation, another digital development foreshadows a new engine management system that is going to find its way into your new car.

Called FADEC, for Full Authority Digital Control, it was developed to manage the dozens of parameters required for safe and efficient operation of turbojets and turboprops. It soon became obvious that the same sort of management could be applied to reciprocating engines.

On a turboprop, FADEC integrates ignition, fuel flow, prop pitch while reading RPM, torque, inlet and exhaust gas temperatures, as well as ambient temperature, humidity and air pressure. The computer then manipulates engine controls to deliver thrust required for a number of flight regimes most efficiently. In commercial aviation, considering the high cost of fuel, even expensive flight management systems start looking like a bargain - and are providing the test beds for the future of all internal combustion engines.

Now the same technology that integrates a variety of instrument readings and control functions, placing all under the authority of a turboprop's single "thrust lever". Whether you start, ground idle, taxi, takeoff, cruise, or descend, you move the power lever to the selected detent and FADEC issues the engine and prop pitch commands to achieve your wish quickly, smoothly, with optimum safety, and economy. What's more, it maintains those optimal settings even when temperature, altitude, or even wind direction alters your flight dynamic.

OK, your present ECM does do some of that, but development for piston-engine aircraft along similar lines points toward some new possibilities for your car that can offer greater flexibility and economy. Think about your fuel injectors delivering timing and pulse width that will not only replace the old choke and throttle, but tailor those mixture and timing commands to each cylinder individually with every revolution. It can even partially compensate for a "weak" cylinder in many cases to smooth performance. The computer not only provides the fuel map, but spark advance curves tailored for altitude, temperature, and humidity.

Magnetic valve actuation, including both lift and timing can be optimized similarly for EACH cylinder separately, potentially eliminating cams and cam drives, as well as fuel and ignition controls. It's all going to be under your right foot, BUT it can now be tightly controlled to produce more power AND better fuel economy - out the same or lesser displacement. At the same time, this ground-bound FADEC can select transmission gear, torque converter slip, or clutch and gearbox integration - and all with sets of sensors, actuators, and chips. Sure, it's a few years off, but there are radical changes coming for reciprocating engines - ones that will wring the last bits of energy out of every drop of fuel AND still offer the performance of a larger engine. ;)

Will it appear in your Elio? Well, not this year - nor probably the next or the one following - but that's new territory that is being explored today. :cool:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We've talked about the Elio's engine design and its contribution to its economical fuel consumption - and we've thought about the leading edge engine sensors that will generate the data for our dashboard displays in real time. But where is this technology leading? There is a marriage of new engine electronics that will be part of future Engine Control Modules that's just over the horizon. If you want a preview, look at the aviation industry. Just as single panel LED instrument displays were pioneered in commercial aviation, another digital development foreshadows a new engine management system that is going to find its way int

On a turboprop, FADEC integrates ignition, fuel flow, prop pitch while reading RPM, torque, inlet and exhaust gas temperatures, as well as ambient temperature, humidity and air pressure. The computer then manipulates engine controls to deliver thrust required for a number of flight regimes most efficiently. In commercial aviation, considering the high cost of fuel, even expensive flight management systems start looking like a bargain - and are providing the test beds for the future of all internal combustion engines.

Now the same technology that integrates a variety of instrument readings and control functions, placing all under the authority of a turboprop's single "thrust lever". Whether you start, ground idle, taxi, takeoff, cruise, or descend, you move the power lever to the selected detent and FADEC issues the engine and prop pitch commands to achieve your wish quickly, smoothly, with optimum safety, and economy. What's more, it maintains those optimal settings even when temperature, altitude, or even wind direction alters your flight dynamic.

OK, your present ECM does do some of that, but development for piston-engine aircraft along similar lines points toward some new possibilities for your car that can offer greater flexibility and economy. Think about your fuel injectors delivering timing and pulse width that will not only replace the old choke and throttle, but tailor those mixture and timing commands to each cylinder individually with every revolution. It can even partially compensate for a "weak" cylinder in many cases to smooth performance. The computer not only provides the fuel map, but spark advance curves tailored for altitude, temperature, and humidity.

Magnetic valve actuation, including both lift and timing can be optimized similarly for EACH cylinder separately, potentially eliminating cams and cam drives, as well as fuel and ignition controls. It's all going to be under your right foot, BUT it can now be tightly controlled to produce more power AND better fuel economy - out the same or lesser displacement. At the same time, this ground-bound FADEC can select transmission gear, torque converter slip, or clutch and gearbox integration - and all with sets of sensors, actuators, and chips. Sure, it's a few years off, but there are radical changes coming for reciprocating engines - ones that will wring the last bits of energy out of every drop of fuel AND still offer the performance of a larger engine. ;)

Will it appear in your Elio? Well, not this year - nor probably the next or the one following - but that's new territory that is being explored today. :cool:
As much as is made of the 'advanced' technology in cars today, they ARE indeed primitive by comparison. And unfortunately the kinds of control systems found on aircraft don't always translate to pasenger cars well. Cost is a big issue when you consider the lengths companies will already go to just to save a few pennies here or there on production cost. on a million-plus dollar aircraft it's a bit different market and different cost priorities. Those aircraft are designed to be maintained as well. There are routine care proceedures as well as the expectation that they will need occasional repairs. The average automotive consumer today buys on price and style, does not even want to KNOW what's under the hood, so long as it's got a HEMI in it, (not that they've a clue what that IS), and they expect to put in gas and drive it for ten years with almost no maintenance. Despite incessant whining about how the govt should make their fuel cheaper, they typically don't have a CLUE what kind of mileage they are getting, nor is it a concern when they buy a vehicle, except in so far that if fuel QWAAS cheaper they'd just buy a bigger

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
vehicle. Now, once gas starts to REALLY get expensive and there is an ACTUAL priority to make better mileage, then those kind of advanced systems might start to become cost-effective, though I'd expect to see more advanced technology hit large trucks first. The LAST segment will be passenger cars.
Of course the typical American car buyer probably doesn't include many Elio fans, but then again, if the shoe fits..........

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's funny that aviation applications always seem to get the newest technology, but where safety or economic issues are involved, cost seems to be no object and that makes them good candidates for leading-edge technologies whose prices have yet to mature. About ten years ago we began to see aircraft GPS navigation systems overlaid with weather radar - a tremendous advantage for private pilots who couldn't justify the cost of their own weather radar on board. By taking ground-based weather radar plots and superimposing them on the GPS map, the pilot received a good approximation of the weather on his route in near-real time. Yes, the option cost thousands, but not as many of them as an on-board radar.

Today, that same technology is available for your car's GPS - not only weather radar but maybe more importantly, traffic information too, again in near-real time. The price has come down too. The basic GPS that cost you over $400 a few years ago is now available with free map updates, traffic, and weather for half that cost. Some things DO get cheaper over time . . .

Back in '86 my business partner was driving one of the last of the massive Town Car coupes and she was reluctant to part with it. Then the "digital dash" went haywire and finally failed altogether. It was not really digital, just a LCD display of speed, miles, and a few bar graphs for gas and temperature - that's all. But the COST to replace that 4" X 10" display was $1500 - and that was just the part. The labor was close to that number because it wasn't designed for access and the entire dash had to be disassembled just to reach the offending display. Sadly, her beautifully-maintained white on white Lincoln went to the crusher, the cost of repair exceeded it's wholesale value and with the odometer inoperative, it couldn't be sold.

Thinking as I tend to do now in terms of "Elios", that repair could have cost well over 1/3 Elio. That just doesn't seem right.

Last edited:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's funny that aviation applications always seem to get the newest technology, but where safety or economic issues are involved, cost seems to be no object and that makes them good candidates for leading-edge technologies whose prices have yet to mature. About ten years ago we began to see aircraft GPS navigation systems overlaid with weather radar - a tremendous advantage for private pilots who couldn't justify the cost of their own weather radar on board. By taking ground-based weather radar plots and superimposing them on the GPS map, the pilot received a good approximation of the weather on his route in near-real time. Yes, the option cost thousands, but not as many of them as an on-board radar.

Today, that same technology is available for your car's GPS - not only weather radar but maybe more importantly, traffic information too, again in near-real time. The price has come down too. The basic GPS that cost you over $400 a few years ago is now available with free map updates, traffic, and weather for half that cost. Some things DO get cheaper over time . . .

Back in '86 my business partner was driving one of the last Town Car coupes she was reluctant to part with. Then the "digital dash" went haywire and finally failed altogether. It was not really digital, just a LCD display of speed, miles, and a few bar graphs for gas and temperature - that's all. But the COST to replace that 4" X 10" display was $1500 - and that was just the part. The labor was close to that number because it wasn't designed for access and the entire dash had to be disassembled just to reach the offending display. Sadly, her nicely-maintained Lincoln went to the crusher, the cost of repair exceeded it's wholesale value and with the odometer inoperative, it couldn't be sold.

Thinking as I tend to do now in terms of "Elios", that repair could have cost well over 1/3 Elio. That just doesn't seem right.
Knowledge is power. And these days we have more of it at our finger-tips than ever in human history. But if we lack basic skill sets like auto-mechanics, plumbing, carpentry, etc.. then we will be forever at someone else's mercy for every facet of our lives. I would have found SOME way to fix the car, but it might not have been the prettiest. If it has to be the pretty option, then have fun paying for it.
Over-specialization is a danger of 'advanced' societies and an achile's heel of one in decline.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hear you. My Father was an electrical engineer (well, an "engineer" . . .back when he graduated, they didn't specialize). He designed and built our house almost entirely with his own hands, he fabricated a central air conditioning system for it that ran for 20 years before it was replaced with a commercial unit that wasn't as good. When the old Plymouth's engine needed an overhaul, he did it in the garage with me at the age of six, handing him tools. (Just think, I coulda been a scrub nurse!)

He was an avid photographer and processed his own film, printing his own family photo Christmas cards every year. He was a pilot, a navigator, one of the most knowledgeable experts on welding in the nation, he even painted a couple of our cars in his dusty old workshop. He and my uncle built a car/camper on a new rolling chassis as teenagers and drove it from Western Kansas to San Francisco and back - in 1927, before there were much in the way of hard-surfaced roads.

[Broken External Image]

They designed and laid out a low-speed, high-lift airplane wing in chalk full scale on the cement of our front porch - that ultimately raised the payload of Bill's fleet of cropdusters some 25% and at the same time making them more maneuverable. He was truly a Renaissance man.

I'm more than a little embarrassed when I take my car in for an oil change. I don't reline my own brakes, do a top-end overhaul, rebuild a carburetor on the kitchen table, or even change a clutch in the driveway anymore. There are "people" for that. I call in mechanics, plumbers, electricians, even refrigerator servicemen as needed. Somewhere in heaven the balding man with his head in his hands is my Dad, mourning his son's late incompetence. In my defense, I can only say that things are a lot more complex now than in the '40's and '50's - and since I inherited his habit of giving blood in the course of almost every project, calling in professional expertise is WAY cheaper than trips to the ER. Believe me, I've tried it both ways and I have the scars to prove it. :(

Last edited:

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's compare apples to apples.

FADEC is most commonly associated with turbine engines. So stating that the auto industry lags behind the aviation industry is simply not correct.
Let's take most aviation piston engines: Built on 1940's technology Lycoming and Continental resisted change from the manual adjusted fuel/air ratio, magneto ignition, and carburetor while the auto industry has had several generations of injection and ignition.

But skip the comparison completely. The applications are simply too different to properly compare by price point, redundancy, operator and maintainer qualifications, harshness of environment, and design philosophy.

That said, the idea is about control.
Electronic vs manual or mechanical. But it's not just engine controls. Steering and breaking are becoming more of a drive by wire (coining the "fly-by-wire" aviation term). The 2015 Toyota Corolla has a steer-by-wire and there is no linkage connecting the steering wheel and front wheels.

It doesn't happen until it makes economic sense including the factors of price, simplicity, reliability, and safety.

Electronic engine controls are relatively mature and will almost certainly be in the Elio. The level of control is unknown to me.
The most common is the right pedal is connected to an air control valve via cable and or linkage, and the fuel and ignition are electronically varied to compensate for air flow and allowing for temperature, pressure, rpm, etc.
It could be a "Full Authority" control where there is merely an electric gas pedal position sensor at instructs all engine controls.
Cables controlled EFi engines usually have a "limp back" capability in the event of a computer failure.
I do not know if the Full version has that capability.

CE

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We've talked about the Elio's engine design and its contribution to its economical fuel consumption - and we've thought about the leading edge engine sensors that will generate the data for our dashboard displays in real time. But where is this technology leading? There is a marriage of new engine electronics that will be part of future Engine Control Modules that's just over the horizon. If you want a preview, look at the aviation industry. Just as single panel LED instrument displays were pioneered in commercial aviation, another digital development foreshadows a new engine management system that is going to find its way into your new car.

Called FADEC, for Full Authority Digital Control, it was developed to manage the dozens of parameters required for safe and efficient operation of turbojets and turboprops. It soon became obvious that the same sort of management could be applied to reciprocating engines.

What are you talking about? Have you been asleep for the last 16 years??

BMW had this in 1998
Volkswagen all models had this by 1999

I don't know how far the domestics have gotten, but I'll wager they're already there. Most manufacturer's have multi-dimensional maps with full "fly by wire" control, and use a 'fuzzy logic' learning mode overlay on top of the built in maps. That's why when your battery dies, your car acts so much differently over the next 150 miles as it has to relearn nearly everything from its factory defaults.

If your car has a throtte position sensor, it's probably waaaaay more advanced than you can imagine.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If your car has a throtte position sensor, it's probably waaaaay more advanced than you can imagine.

I dunno.. i can imagine quite a bit.

Familiar with diesel trucks with throttle position sensors. Over 10 year old tech really.
Didn't think it was relevant tho. (since diesel)

Last edited:
Top Bottom