• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Space In The Hood

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for your post to the "link or BS" poster, couldn't remember where I read it.

*"Unhappy" was a bad choice of words.. Point I was trying to relay was that RedDOT which is designing the HAVC system was having very limited space to work with... which isn't a good thing on several levels.

1: NOISE: Since the cabin of the ELIO is smaller than most.. Keeping air-speed down is paramount.
How do you keep noise levels down? Well you don't force air down dinky little pipes that have to twist and turn in a "limited amount of space".
You want duckwork sized "big" enough and routed in a way air speed is low, so noise is reduced as much as possible.

2: Limited space usually translates into higher servicing cost. Yea, we made it fit but it's going to cost MORE to have it worked on.

Quick who here has worked on cars PROFESSIONALLY? It's no fun to work on something in which the "engineers" have packed things in tightly. Most of this "packing" being done with little thought on servicing those items later btw people.
(Yea PE is a super engineer, he'd never do that or let it happen, he's promised to make the ELIO easy to service.. which can mean it's easy to change the oil and air filter.. you know the "common" things.. We will see if the whole thing is "easy" to work on. )

3: Total, or Long term Ownership Costs:
Fun-fact= The more pain in the butt it is to work on something the more it's going to cost to pay someone to fix it.. So yea pack it in there.

Me thinks that "Engineers" need to be forced to work on the cars they design in the real world in which during the winter time it's so cold when you grab a wrench it pulls the skin off your hands, and in the summer you're drenched in sweat with it running down your butt crack, the engine compartment is downright nasty... they pack stuff in pretty tight with little regard to serviceability more so than not.

In regards to making the engine compartment or chassis itself slightly wider.. it's always better to have MORE vs LESS SPACE... (Turbo anyone?. Paul Elio was saying somewhere he was being told the turbo

One last thing
Besides day to day maintenance having more space around things increases the LIFE SPAN OF THE COMPONENTS...

*"Unhappy" was a bad choice of words in regard to RedDOT HAVC designer. I bet whoever got the job was probably overjoyed in being assigned the project and the guys doing the install and tweeking are probably overjoyed as well working in a limited amount of space.

Being a very small volume interior, the Elio won't require as much AC as larger vehicles. Since the AC compressor is already on the engine, just routing a couple of lines to the evaporator won't be much of a challenge. The Elio has more free room under the hood than some vehicles. In the cockpit, there will be probably 24 inches of ductwork they have to fit in. The space constraint is all in the fan/evaporator housing. I don't think A/C noise will be an issue. As far as servicing costs go... well, almost ALL servicing is done via the low-side port at the compressor which is easy enough to reach on the Elio. I don't think I've ever had a blower motor go out on an AC to where it needed servicing.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Being a very small volume interior, the Elio won't require as much AC as larger vehicles. Since the AC compressor is already on the engine, just routing a couple of lines to the evaporator won't be much of a challenge. The Elio has more free room under the hood than some vehicles. In the cockpit, there will be probably 24 inches of ductwork they have to fit in. The space constraint is all in the fan/evaporator housing. I don't think A/C noise will be an issue. As far as servicing costs go... well, almost ALL servicing is done via the low-side port at the compressor which is easy enough to reach on the Elio. I don't think I've ever had a blower motor go out on an AC to where it needed servicing.
I wonder if they might use some of the space behind the right side armrest. This might also simplify ducting to the rear. Quite a bit of space there.

Build it RIGHT!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Thank you for responding. My concern on HVAC for rear passenger is unlike a regular car driver is blocking air to a larger degree.
On the servicing cost aspect, more vs less space to work in as a general rule reduces labor costs.
Hope RedDot does a 1st class system as it is paramount reviews be positive!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you for responding. My concern on HVAC for rear passenger is unlike a regular car driver is blocking air to a larger degree.

Hope RedDot does a 1st class system as it is paramount reviews be positive!

interesting timing .... today EM released Momentum V76 in which a preliminary report from RedDot was given .... this release should be on EM's within a day or so .... https://www.eliomotors.com/category/momentum/ .... it provides some details on the nature of the testing and concludes by saying :

"Testing the E-Series vehicles is both an exciting and vital phase in our journey. It allows us to validate our design and ensure that we are producing the best possible vehicle. The initial testing of the HVAC system of the E1D is right in line with our expectations and allows our engineers to improve the vehicle based on our findings. The testing of these vehicles represents major progress and will lead to an even better final product."

Momentum V76 is well worth reading

Top Bottom