• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Some More Elio Exposure For Iowa!

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ohio law refers to them as "enclosed cab motorcycles". In order to qualify, you have to have a fully enclosed cab. The Slingshot doesn't qualify.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Pretty interesting! The Iowa legislation for autocycles would include the Slingshot in it's definition, meaning no MC endorsement. Not sure if the other states that passed this went the same way too?

Three-wheeled 'autocycle' drops by Iowa statehouse

Thanks for the news msmith. Yep, agree with Rob, most definitions of autocycle that I've seen have specified an enclosed cabin. Iowa is one of the few that has made special allowances for the Slingshot.

When I helped get the law established in KS, I know that Polaris had a person sitting at the committee mtg along with an Elio person, and I know they got something changed, but as I look back at the bill documents that I have, it says "enclosed". The memory goes bad, 'tis true, but what I remember is Polaris got "something" changed before it was moved to be signed by the governor of KS. Anyway...

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's the part about helmets from the Ohio law. It specifies a top.

"(C)(3) Divisions (C)(1) and (2)(a) of this section do not apply to a person who operates or is a passenger in a cab-enclosed motorcycle when the occupant compartment top is in place enclosing the occupants."

So if you had a removable top, and you took the top off, you'd have to have "safety glasses or other protective eye device". If under 18, on a learner's permit, or have had an endorsement for less than one year, a helmet is required.

For endorsements:
http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv3741.pdf

"Cab-enclosed motorcycles do not require an endorsement."

Brings up an interesting point: If your vehicle has a removable top, then taking it off makes it not qualify as a cab-enclosed motorcycle. Which means the exemption for license endorsement doesn't apply? So you can drive a Slingshot with the top on without an endorsement, but if you take the top off you have to have an endorsement.... ?

Top Bottom