• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Question For Texas Motorcycle Riders

fast eddie

Elio Fan
Reaction score
My wife and I really excited about this new Elio 'autocycle' or whatever it will be classified as. My concern is that it will have to register as a motorcycle in Texas and that we will have to get a motorcycle license to be legal to operate. We would prefer to take an approved motorcycle driving course in the actual Elio (once we purchase it) in order to apply for the motorcycle license. Is this possible? My wife and I have never drove motorcycles nor do we want to...and at my age I do not even care to get on one. Your comments would be welcomed.:confused:

jrm_cr_fl

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excuse me, NRB. Florida certainly does require a motorcycle endorsement added to a regular driving license. If this is classified as a motorcycle I don't see how you can say what you did. Thankfully, Florida does not require you to wear a helmet, which I always do on my bike, but don't want to in my Elio.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Guess I drove a bike too many years ago( Harley 74 OH, suicide clutch ,gear shift on side of fuel tank) and in 1947, one did not need a special liscense to drive a motorcycle! Guess those that want to protect us from ourselves won again, so now I must get another liscense---woa is me!! RB

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Guess I drove a bike too many years ago( Harley 74 OH, suicide clutch ,gear shift on side of fuel tank) and in 1947, one did not need a special liscense to drive a motorcycle! Guess those that want to protect us from ourselves won again, so now I must get another liscense---woa is me!! RB
Really? That's way too "COOL" for you even in today's standard! LOL

creekstone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My concern is that it will have to register as a motorcycle in Texas and that we will have to get a motorcycle license to be legal to operate.

You will not need a motorcycle endorsement to drive the Elio in Texas.

Joel Sheltrown, Elio's Vice President of Governmental Affairs, has been hard at work addressing state laws regarding motorcycle endorsements and helmet requirements. Last I heard, only 5 states still require helmet use and Joel is working to get that changed. I don't know where he stands on the motorcycle endorsement front.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Getting the license in Texas is easy. 2 day course. Half classroom, half coarse training. They provide the motorcycles and they are tiny engines. I had never riden before and it was easy. That said. I think by the time our Elio's comeout, that won't be necessary.

Top Bottom