• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Job

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I am starting a new job tomorrow which will take me on the road a good bit. I do not plan on abandoning this forum, or my role as a moderator, all-together however I will simply have less time to spend enjoying what everyone has to share.

I had been planning to step away for a few weeks to take a few online courses to update and refresh my network engineer training before going back to IT work however a job literally just fell into my lap over the weekend. I took a call Sunday afternoon from someone needing a person with my skill set and clearance for a job starting asap and I decided to accept the offer. I was supposed to begin on Monday, May 4, however this evening they called and said that there is apparently an important meeting in the DC area on Thursday and Friday and they really want me there so off I go. It's always fun when a new job begins by being tossed into the deep end as I have not even had time to review the project documents in detail so I will be cramming those in as well. :cool:

As I am sure some of you are curious to know, I will be working upgrading/replacing the technology systems for the Army and Air Force Exchange System stores. Over the course of the project the team must visit every Army and Air Force post around the world which has PX/BX stores and replace all the computerized cash registers, PC's, and associated communications equipment. To make it even more 'fun' we are limited to when and how many terminals we can take down at once and when/how long we can take down communications to replace that equipment.

Update 7/27/2015:
Well, it has been a very interesting month for me with plenty of ups and downs. The government project has completely fallen apart due to some disagreements between the government agency and the company I am working for which has resulted in that project coming to an end. However as that drama was unfolding I was contacted about another opportunity so I decided to pursue it. After several phone and in person interviews I have been offered, and decided to accept, a new position beginning on Monday, 3 August.

My new position is Instrumentation and Controls Systems Engineer for Siemens. I will be working on the installation and repair of Siemens control systems used for the operation of gas turbine electrical generators.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am starting a new job tomorrow which will take me on the road a good bit. I do not plan on abandoning this forum, or my role as a moderator, all-together however I will simply have less time to spend enjoying what everyone has to share.

I had been planning to step away for a few weeks to take a few online courses to update and refresh my network engineer training before going back to IT work however a job literally just fell into my lap over the weekend. I took a call Sunday afternoon from someone needing a person with my skill set and clearance for a job starting asap and I decided to accept the offer. I was supposed to begin on Monday, May 4, however this evening they called and said that there is apparently an important meeting in the DC area on Thursday and Friday and they really want me there so off I go. It's always fun when a new job begins by being tossed into the deep end as I have not even had time to review the project documents in detail so I will be cramming those in as well. :eek:

As I am sure some of you are curious to know, I will be working upgrading/replacing the technology systems for the Army and Air Force Exchange System stores. Over the course of the project the team must visit every Army and Air Force post around the world which has PX/BX stores and replace all the computerized cash registers, PC's, and associated communications equipment. To make it even more 'fun' we are limited to when and how many terminals we can take down at once and when/how long we can take down communications to replace that equipment.

Good luck on your new job.
Never fun jumping in on the deep end.
Be safe out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Been there, done that (for 4 1/2 years). Deep end? I had to fly in and hit the ground running, usually with minimal information.
Good luck to you and happy tough life for a while' on the flip side I know what jobs like that pay :D and since you're doing it for the government :p:D:D

Especially since it's dealing with Exchange; one of the most kludged database communications systems there is, you're going to be your earning geek stripes for sure.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score

As I am sure some of you are curious to know, I will be working upgrading/replacing the technology systems for the Army and Air Force Exchange System stores.
My team wrote the materials handling software including, acquisition, inventory, and distribution for all US military Exchanges. I hope you are fluent in Unix. LOL On second thought, leave my stinking software alone.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I'm lying then I"m dying so I guess I'm doing both. Just kidding about the software job. I guess I can't keep a straight face as long as Roy D Mercer can on some of his pranks. (I've observed too many) Wishing you luck and also hope you made enough on your last venture to tell them all to take a hike if some General jumps in and tries to take over. LOL That was the kind of problems we had in my duty stations.

As for around here, perhaps we could promote you to Inspector General. That would facilitate you you showing up less but give you the authority to open a IG type can of wupass on occasion. LOL

Top Bottom