• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Engine Unveiling And Testing

Joseph Kidd

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about how the new engine is testing? I keep searching online. I have not found anything yet. Honestly, I still have reservations that 84 mpg (highway) is possible from an engine that doesn't use any newer technologies like turbo. Based on other vehicles of similar weight and similar designed aspirated engines - that mpg is not possible. For example;

Tata Nano
weight: 1350lbs, Engine: 624cc / 2 cylinder / gasoline, and it gets 62 mpg on the highway.

Keep in mind the Tata Nano engine would not pass US EPA standards. If all the added emission equipment is connected to that engine I doubt 62 mpg is possible. I understand that Elio's biggest argument is the body design cuts the air at higher speeds. Elio is not the first design with 2 wheels in the front and one in the back. Check out www.3wheelers.com they have a whole data base of them for the last 125 years. To me, the Fiat Twinair 900cc engine seems the most promising to reach the 84 goal. Search for International Engine of the Year for more on that. Let me know what you think. -Joe K.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about how the new engine is testing? I keep searching online. I have not found anything yet. Honestly, I still have reservations that 84 mpg (highway) is possible from an engine that doesn't use any newer technologies like turbo. Based on other vehicles of similar weight and similar designed aspirated engines - that mpg is not possible. For example;

Tata Nano
weight: 1350lbs, Engine: 624cc / 2 cylinder / gasoline, and it gets 62 mpg on the highway.

Keep in mind the Tata Nano engine would not pass US EPA standards. If all the added emission equipment is connected to that engine I doubt 62 mpg is possible. I understand that Elio's biggest argument is the body design cuts the air at higher speeds. Elio is not the first design with 2 wheels in the front and one in the back. Check out www.3wheelers.com they have a whole data base of them for the last 125 years. To me, the Fiat Twinair 900cc engine seems the most promising to reach the 84 goal. Search for International Engine of the Year for more on that. Let me know what you think. -Joe K.
upload_2014-12-21_22-50-52.jpeg
196 post on the engine and you couldn't tag on to one of them?

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Craig is mean. He's got no sympathy for newbies. :D

Welcome to the forums, Joseph.

Turbo is "new" technology? Not exactly...

Tata Nano is not very aerodynamic, and was built mainly to be ultra-cheap, not efficient. I think the Elio will better balance cost and economy, and will of-course be much more aerodynamic.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Craig is mean. He's got no sympathy for newbies. :D

Welcome to the forums, Joseph.

Turbo is "new" technology? Not exactly...

Tata Nano is not very aerodynamic, and was built mainly to be ultra-cheap, not efficient. I think the Elio will better balance cost and economy, and will of-course be much more aerodynamic.
upload_2014-12-21_23-2-59.jpeg
:)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First Post, sorry.
Hi and welcome from Oregon, Joseph Kidd. The last I heard they had already reached 80 mpg and are sure they will be able to tweek the engine to reach their goal. I firmly believe they will not only do it but will also surpass that goal. But then I am known as a true believer. I am totally biased and not the least bit humble about my opinions. I hope you enjoy this very diverse and interesting collection of people as we advance along this exciting journey to Elio production and ownership. :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about how the new engine is testing?
-Joe K.

I've posted the following before but after a few days it can get to where it may not be easy to find info .... hope this helps :

during a conversation Dec 6th with Jerome Vassallo, VP of Sales at the Elio exhibit on 12-6-14 in Charlotte, NC I learned a great deal about the extensive nature of the testing that the IAV Elio engine is undergoing .... from beginning mid November, the process will take several months .... as a loose outline of the process, after it was first assembled, spun tested, disassembled, measured, and reassembled, they pressure it with air and check for leaks .... after each of these steps it will be disassembled sufficiently to X-ray the components and meticulously take measurements .... next they move to installing fluids, testing, disassemble to X-ray and take measurements .... next the motor will be fired and the whole process is repeated .... as a side note, at times the motor will be connected to two computers .... one will show the computer projections and one will show the actual performance .... the motor will be subjected to a range of test on the dyno that are needed to determine how it will perform in simulations of city driving, long interstate cruises, wide open throttle .... after completing all of that testing they will eventually begin removing oil to the point the engine will fail .... this motor will never see service in an Elio .... reports will come when they come but for folks wanting frequent updates, it ain't gonna happen .... Paul Elio is actively working/monitoring the entire process

Jim

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Tata Nano

IAV is testing the engine and probably doesn't give much in-process info to Elio. Pushing air and pulling weight are the two biggest mpg killers. The Elio drops about 25% of its efficiency in town where small motors struggle more accelerating the mass. It seems reasonable that the similarly powered Elio will get much better highway mileage than the Tata Nano (Tata owns Jaguar now. How cool is that for them?) because

17.48 hp to maintain 70mph in the Tata Nano, 10.32 hp to maintain 70 mph in the Elio. The Elio uses 59% of the power and will have efficiency savings in kind.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculate HP For Speed.php

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've posted the following before but after a few days it can get to where it may not be easy to find info .... hope this helps :

during a conversation Dec 6th with Jerome Vassallo, VP of Sales at the Elio exhibit on 12-6-14 in Charlotte, NC I learned a great deal about the extensive nature of the testing that the IAV Elio engine is undergoing .... from beginning mid November, the process will take several months .... as a loose outline of the process, after it was first assembled, spun tested, disassembled, measured, and reassembled, they pressure it with air and check for leaks .... after each of these steps it will be disassembled sufficiently to X-ray the components and meticulously take measurements .... next they move to installing fluids, testing, disassemble to X-ray and take measurements .... next the motor will be fired and the whole process is repeated .... as a side note, at times the motor will be connected to two computers .... one will show the computer projections and one will show the actual performance .... the motor will be subjected to a range of test on the dyno that are needed to determine how it will perform in simulations of city driving, long interstate cruises, wide open throttle .... after completing all of that testing they will eventually begin removing oil to the point the engine will fail .... this motor will never see service in an Elio .... reports will come when they come but for folks wanting frequent updates, it ain't gonna happen .... Paul Elio is actively working/monitoring the entire process

Jim
Thanks for reposting Jim, I think I missed it the first time around. Then again I may have read it and filed it in my brain under "engine stuff I don't need to know"!:confused::rolleyes::D

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for reposting Jim, I think I missed it the first time around. Then again I may have read it and filed it in my brain under "engine stuff I don't need to know"!:confused::rolleyes::D

not a problem .... well understood on reading so much info and filing it away in some part of the brain where I don't go very often .. :eek:

Jim

Top Bottom