• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legislation Introduced Today In Nebraska!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LB231 was introduced today in Nebraska. :)http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/FloorDocs/104/PDF/Intro/LB231.pdf
It's 37 pages and I haven't read it all yet but I'm sure it will put a person to sleep.
I ran through it quickly and I may have missed some parts...But this is what I could see:

On page one, line #11 it is clear about the purpose of the bill associated to the Autocycle and clarifying parts of the statute.

On page #2, line #6 it mentions "Autocycle. In line #21 thru 27 it describes what an "autocycle" is and repeats this in other area. It seems to allow for a sun roof but not a full convertible.

This document seems to me more associated with registration, plates and sticker. I goes over the safety restrains and airbags requirements. It even mentions about the ABS on the autocycle as read in the prior description. But in a round about way it does seem to not require a helmet for the autocycle but does not clearly/full state so. It doesn't talk about a license for a motorcycle not being required for the autocycle or make a difference noted.

If what I observed is correct and I lived in Nebraska I would want this better spelled out and clearer on the operators licensing, helmet and registration. It clearly segregates motorcycles from autocycles but this could open the door for different costs in insuring rather than at motorcycle rates. Those in Nebraska should read this.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I ran through it quickly and I may have missed some parts...But this is what I could see:

On page one, line #11 it is clear about the purpose of the bill associated to the Autocycle and clarifying parts of the statute.

On page #2, line #6 it mentions "Autocycle. In line #21 thru 27 it describes what an "autocycle" is and repeats this in other area. It seems to allow for a sun roof but not a full convertible.

This document seems to me more associated with registration, plates and sticker. I goes over the safety restrains and airbags requirements. It even mentions about the ABS on the autocycle as read in the prior description. But in a round about way it does seem to not require a helmet for the autocycle but does not clearly/full state so. It doesn't talk about a license for a motorcycle not being required for the autocycle or make a difference noted.

If what I observed is correct and I lived in Nebraska I would want this better spelled out and clearer on the operators licensing, helmet and registration. It clearly segregates motorcycles from autocycles but this could open the door for different costs in insuring rather than at motorcycle rates. Those in Nebraska should read this.
It said on page 2, line 24, "removable or fixed top" (and again in 4 other places). It doesn't get into motorcycle testing or licencing at all. That must be covered under a different bill.

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I've been emailing with Senator Smith about this bill and I received confirmation on a few questions.

Dear Mr. Larsen,

Again, I appreciate your continued interest in LB 231. You have interpreted the language of the bill correctly.
1. The autocycle will be required to have only one license plate just like a motorcycle,
2. In order to be defined as an autocycle, the vehicle must contain a three-point safety belt system as well as airbags. Occupants of an autocycle will be subject to the same requirements as those currently in place for occupants of any motor vehicle. Since we are defining the autocycle as a type of motor vehicle and not a motorcycle, the helmet law will not apply to occupants of an autocycle.
3. Again, the autocycle is being defined as a type of motor vehicle and therefore, only a standard Class O drivers license will be required to operate an autocycle. There will be no special certification necessary.

A public hearing on LB 231 is tentatively scheduled for February 2nd in front of the Transportation and Telecommunications Committee, of which I serve as the chairperson. It is always helpful for committee members to hear how the policies we are considering impact Nebraska's citizens. A letter to the Transportation and Telecommunications Committee members expressing your reasons for supporting LB 231 would certainly be welcome. If you care to, you can send the letter to my email address and I can make sure it becomes part of the hearing's permanent record.

Sincerely,

Jim Smith
District 14 | Nebraska Legislature
PO Box 94604, Lincoln, NE 68509-4604
Telephone: 402.471.2730
Email: jsmith@leg.ne.gov

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My letter to Senetor Smith and the Transportation committee.

Dear Senator Smith,

I'm writing to you and the Transportation and Telecommunications Committee to show my support for LB 231.
Times are certainly changing and the auto cycle is becoming more of a reality everyday. For instance, Elio Motors, a new startup auto cycle manufacturing company is planning on releasing their completed engine in just a few days.
I am one of almost 40,000 reservation holders that is patiently waiting for the Elio to go into production. This revolutionary new vehicle is going to do so much for many people like myself, plus reduce pollution world wide. I drive 86 miles round trip M-F, and even with a fairly economical car I use a lot of gas over the year. Elio is projecting to provide a vehicle that gets 84 MPG with a base price around $6,800.
I am also one of many drivers state, nation, and world wide that drive to work by myself. With the future of the Elio and other auto cycle manufacturers coming into view, this will help the environment greatly. Instead of us all driving our gas guzzling trucks and SUVS we can also own a very economical vehicle and still be safe while driving. Motorcycles are an option for the lone driver and for saving money, but safety and weather are both a big concern when riding. With a fully enclosed auto cycle that also has a three point safety belt plus three airbags we can now drive this fuel saving vehicle in almost any weather and feel confident that we will be safe while driving.
I'm sure you can tell by my words that I am a firm believer in the future of auto cycle manufacturing. I also believe that without the help of this committee along with our state senators, that we may miss the opportunity to upgrade our current laws concerning vehicles that are in our near future. Elio Motors is planning on going into production the first half of 2016, so please give your full consideration and help out your fellow citizens and support LB 231 through this legislative session.
By this time next year I hope to be close to putting my final choices into my Elio order. Please help me out by making the auto cycle acceptable within our laws and help the future of this nation. Thank you for your service, your time in reading this, and your consideration of LB 231.

Sincerely,
Lars Larsen

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are very good writing.
write.jpg
Thank you for doing this letter, and send to Senator. Good Work!

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well..... I don't see anything happening in Nebraska as of now for the autocycle bill. I just received this email from senator Jim Smith about LB231: :mad:
"Dear Mr. Larsen,

At this point LB 231 has not been scheduled for debate. If we do not have time to discuss this legislation before the Legislature adjourns on June 5, the bill will carry over to next session."

Best,

Jim Smith
Chair | Transportation & Telecommunications Committee
District 14 | Nebraska Legislature
PO Box 94604, Lincoln, NE, 68509-4604
Telephone: 402.471.2730

Top Bottom