• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ld 687 Update

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's been awhile, so I thought I should do an update on LD687 here in Maine.

I've been in conversations with Rep. Golden over the autocycle bill he introduced for me, unfortunately the Transportation Committee is voting today it "ought not to pass" for a variety of reasons though at the top of the list Elio Motors not yet being in production and the two bills in Congress and NHTSA's perennial rule proposal. While it's somewhat disappointing it's not unexpected since I was proposing essentially what EM has been pushing federally, primarily for the operators license to be Class C, to address the ironic risk to the public of treating a vehicle like the Elio as a motorcycle e.g. a child in Maine currently would be required to wear a DOT approved helmet in an Elio - that extra 3-4lbs on their head would greatly exaggerate the whiplash effect on their necks in the event of stopping short in traffic, let alone an actual accident, also Maine is one of a number of states that allows people to get a motorcycle license without getting a class C license first... right, so aside from the controls in an Elio being nothing like a motorcycle It would be completely dangerous though technically legal to ride two abreast on Maine roads with an Elio.

The good news is Rep. Golden and I are working out (since I know all the players in Maine BMV, and Legislatures Transportation Committee and they know me) how we'd approach introducing a new bill next December. The trigger will be if EM gets the ATVM loan this summer. If so, then I'll go directly to BMV and they will help support the bill. I've already offered, and gotten accepted responses, if EM goes into production in the 4th Qtr and (depending on how one calculates) my SIL comes up in mid to late May of 2017 to do a full orientation to the vehicle with BMV officials and Legislative Committee members. Currently I only know of five other reservation holders in the state, but if EM does make it to production most I've spoken with agree there would likely be a "shit ton" of them ending up on Maine roads a year later. Maine already issues a high, and climbing number of motorcycle licenses so I know that key people in Maine are indeed watching what happens with EM.

Anyway, below is the e-mail Rep. Golden sent me a couple weeks back.

John:
Hope you are doing well. As required by the committee the Secretary of State reported back to the committee this month and recommended that they take no action to update the laws because of the pending federal legislation, because of NHTSA's current rulemaking that autocycles be treated as motorcycles and because the vehicle is not yet off the production line for sale.
The committee has made it clear to me that there will likely be a majority vote in favor of "ought not to pass," on LD 687.
That being said, if production is set to begin in the 4th quarter than we should be able to reintroduce the measure in December 2016 for consideration by the Legislature in 2017. My gut is that this bill will have better prospects for passage after the vehicle is on the road and people begin to see firsthand the merits of the proposed changes and the Bureau of Motor Vehicles feels compelled to act. Right now, with no vehicle on the road and the pending federal legislation they are able to make an argument in favor of waiting to see what happens with production and with federal law and NHTSA.
Happy to talk more about this now and also about trying again in the future.

All the best,
Jared
Sent from my iPhone

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's been awhile, so I thought I should do an update on LD687 here in Maine.

I've been in conversations with Rep. Golden over the autocycle bill he introduced for me, unfortunately the Transportation Committee is voting today it "ought not to pass" for a variety of reasons though at the top of the list Elio Motors not yet being in production and the two bills in Congress and NHTSA's perennial rule proposal. While it's somewhat disappointing it's not unexpected since I was proposing essentially what EM has been pushing federally, primarily for the operators license to be Class C, to address the ironic risk to the public of treating a vehicle like the Elio as a motorcycle e.g. a child in Maine currently would be required to wear a DOT approved helmet in an Elio - that extra 3-4lbs on their head would greatly exaggerate the whiplash effect on their necks in the event of stopping short in traffic, let alone an actual accident, also Maine is one of a number of states that allows people to get a motorcycle license without getting a class C license first... right, so aside from the controls in an Elio being nothing like a motorcycle It would be completely dangerous though technically legal to ride two abreast on Maine roads with an Elio.

The good news is Rep. Golden and I are working out (since I know all the players in Maine BMV, and Legislatures Transportation Committee and they know me) how we'd approach introducing a new bill next December. The trigger will be if EM gets the ATVM loan this summer. If so, then I'll go directly to BMV and they will help support the bill. I've already offered, and gotten accepted responses, if EM goes into production in the 4th Qtr and (depending on how one calculates) my SIL comes up in mid to late May of 2017 to do a full orientation to the vehicle with BMV officials and Legislative Committee members. Currently I only know of five other reservation holders in the state, but if EM does make it to production most I've spoken with agree there would likely be a "shit ton" of them ending up on Maine roads a year later. Maine already issues a high, and climbing number of motorcycle licenses so I know that key people in Maine are indeed watching what happens with EM.

Anyway, below is the e-mail Rep. Golden sent me a couple weeks back.

John:
Hope you are doing well. As required by the committee the Secretary of State reported back to the committee this month and recommended that they take no action to update the laws because of the pending federal legislation, because of NHTSA's current rulemaking that autocycles be treated as motorcycles and because the vehicle is not yet off the production line for sale.
The committee has made it clear to me that there will likely be a majority vote in favor of "ought not to pass," on LD 687.
That being said, if production is set to begin in the 4th quarter than we should be able to reintroduce the measure in December 2016 for consideration by the Legislature in 2017. My gut is that this bill will have better prospects for passage after the vehicle is on the road and people begin to see firsthand the merits of the proposed changes and the Bureau of Motor Vehicles feels compelled to act. Right now, with no vehicle on the road and the pending federal legislation they are able to make an argument in favor of waiting to see what happens with production and with federal law and NHTSA.
Happy to talk more about this now and also about trying again in the future.

All the best,
Jared
Sent from my iPhone
Nice report. Sounds like you have a good rapport with Rep. Golden so I'm assuming he's ok with your posting his email from his iPhone. If he was a typical legislator, he might not be ok with it. But that's of course your call; I thought your summary in your own words was sufficiently informative without needing to see his communication.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I personally had a positive experience with my State Senator. When I approached him reagarding his interest and support to sponsor autocycle legislation in ID, he ran with it by taking it to the Transportation Committee, drafted a bill, moved it through the House and Senate, and it was successfully passed in 2015.

My issue (embarrassment) is that it was the first and only time I had done a hard sell on the Elio during several email and phone conversations: Sent him specs, told him how important it was for Idaho residents needing affordable transportation, 40,000 reservations, and there are likely to be thousands of Elio's on Idaho roadways with the on track 2015 production schedule. Currently there are no autocycles available to be licensed and registered in Idaho or anywhere in the USA that I'm aware of. It seems your State needs to see one to justify the need to pass legislation. Seems logical now that I think about it.

Nice effort on your part! My bet is the bill will pass when they see an Elio if not sooner.

Last edited:

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When it comes to state laws regarding motor vehicles, I thought EM was working on that themselves. I had no idea individuals were getting involved with there own states on behalf of EM or on behalf of there own interest to being able to own and operate an Elio in there own state! Makes me wonder if more of us should get involved with our own state or if we might mess things up for EM.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another way we could help as individuals -- without directly lobbying NHTSA, DOE or other federal agencies -- would be to help build coalitions with other groups who would find it in their interests to support what Elio is trying to build. For example, we can work with local unions and trade groups for welders, automotive factory workers, manufacturers of reinforced plastics, vehicle repair workers, and other trade groups representing similar industries and skilled laborers. Those folks could then discuss with their national counterparts to chat with their federal legislators in Congress. The success of Elio and similar vehicle manufacturers could help bring lots of local jobs and capital that can be used in the U.S. rather than exported to other countries. Those unions and trade groups therefore could find it in their interest to help foster the development of this new vehicle class.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When it comes to state laws regarding motor vehicles, I thought EM was working on that themselves. I had no idea individuals were getting involved with there own states on behalf of EM or on behalf of there own interest to being able to own and operate an Elio in there own state! Makes me wonder if more of us should get involved with our own state or if we might mess things up for EM.
Elio IS working on these issues. They would prefer we not muddy the waters, especially regarding ATVM loan from DOE ... but sometimes, as in John Painters and Rick B's cases, individual politicking seems to get results!

Top Bottom