• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

secondhand

Reaction score
No, I'm not Hispanic, But I love learning the language. After years of trying, I'm still a novice. I'm also foolishly waiting for my new Elio. It should be here any minute now. I'm going to order mine with a 5-speed manual. Haven't decided on the color yet. I believe that Paul Elio could have started production long ago if he did not screw up the money that was coming in. He surrounded himself with greedy people who only wanted to enrich themselves. Also, he should have began producing the Elio on a small scale initially just to get going and show the world that he could produce a quality product that was in high demand. That opportunity, sadly, was lost.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, I'm not Hispanic, But I love learning the language. After years of trying, I'm still a novice. I'm also foolishly waiting for my new Elio. It should be here any minute now. I'm going to order mine with a 5-speed manual. Haven't decided on the color yet. I believe that Paul Elio could have started production long ago if he did not screw up the money that was coming in. He surrounded himself with greedy people who only wanted to enrich themselves. Also, he should have began producing the Elio on a small scale initially just to get going and show the world that he could produce a quality product that was in high demand. That opportunity, sadly, was lost.
How long have you been waiting?

Yes, Paul Elio made some crucial errors years ago. First, he should have picked an off-the-shelf engine for production, instead of designing a new engine. Second, he could have offered the Elio as a kit. He could have started limited production of Elio kits back in 2012, and then expanded production as orders came in.

We got so excited when Elio Motors acquired the old GM Hummer plant in Shreveport, Louisiana. But Elio sat on his hands, and was forced to give it back to GM. With Elio, it's been one snafu after another.

Keep your chin up. . . production is expected to start in spring or summer 2021. . . who knows? . . . it could happen.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The centre of the greedy people was Paul

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
“The centre of the greedy people was Paul”

———————————————

I would like to think that Paul didn’t start that way, admittedly it gets more difficult to defend as time passes. I think it’s possible that far ‘better’ and more experienced business people and engineers steered ESG Engineering which, made Elio Motors secondary (however, this may have been ‘by design.’ Maybe Hari’s involvement warrants more scrutiny). IMHO, it may just be possible Paul blithely went along when he realized he overreached and could never recover. Anyone could see that Elgin dash idea was weak engineering-wise and business-wise. Red flags were always popping up: certainly many of us have ‘our own’ questions. Maybe Paul really thought these initiatives were viable? Or was it just a long, drawn out ‘shell game’?

The issue remains: when did that happen (for Paul specifically), and what did he know, and when? We may never know, and probably never will know but the mere fact that now Paul and Co. are not ‘rubber stamping’ bona fide requests for bona fide ‘refundable’ reservations (setting aside all the other apparent mis- and malfeasance issues) means that someone needs to ‘keep their feet to the fire.’ Big time.

There is just too much money that was ‘wasted’ and just not enough information coming from Paul and Co. Too win-win for them, and too lose-lose for everyone else: now we are just ignored? Nope.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I look at it differently. Paul made a business plan that needed about $640M to make the business viable. They raised about $120M. It's an underfunded project and thus does what all underfunded projects do, they fail or just go into limbo because the owner is working on a new way for a cash infusion. It could have got funded but there was a lack of interest from the general public when it came to people that actually wanted to buy this product. With that, investors see it and won't invest, because the company would fail within 2 years.

Back in 2008 when Paul started with this project, it seemed like it should be viable. When the reality came in, it wasn't . This is because they were going to have to make a distribution network, service, warranty, plant and high speed large manufacturing to make this whole thing work. Then they found out that they needed to add safety and regular car stuff because of the perception that a 3 wheeler is dangerous and a cheap car means, it's lacking in creature comforts. Paul added all of this down the road but in the end, all of that takes a big investment up front. That's where the budget ballooned.

Did Paul and ESG make money at this. Yes. Is that wrong? No. It happens every day in America and every other country. I feel most people are shortsighted and are ticked off at Elio because they didn't get their prize. They wanted it really bad so they could show it off to their friends and general public. They use it as a way to show how smart they are. As of now, the exact opposite happened. The thing is, the Elio business model was not centered around for SIL# XXXXX to get their vehicle but for the business to grow and be profitable. You have to look long term and for others, not just for your own short term personal bragging device.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you Dr. for the evaluation.
Now can I have some good meds. to get me through the crisis.
From looking at the tags and the post, it was another typical, "I was promised to get my toy, never got it and Paul made a bunch of money." In the end, at least Elio had to do SEC filings and the numbers from Elio motors speak for themselves. Thank goodness they did that as if they never did, then the greed would have merit.

secondhand

Reaction score
I look at it differently. Paul made a business plan that needed about $640M to make the business viable. They raised about $120M. It's an underfunded project and thus does what all underfunded projects do, they fail or just go into limbo because the owner is working on a new way for a cash infusion. It could have got funded but there was a lack of interest from the general public when it came to people that actually wanted to buy this product. With that, investors see it and won't invest, because the company would fail within 2 years.

Back in 2008 when Paul started with this project, it seemed like it should be viable. When the reality came in, it wasn't . This is because they were going to have to make a distribution network, service, warranty, plant and high speed large manufacturing to make this whole thing work. Then they found out that they needed to add safety and regular car stuff because of the perception that a 3 wheeler is dangerous and a cheap car means, it's lacking in creature comforts. Paul added all of this down the road but in the end, all of that takes a big investment up front. That's where the budget ballooned.

Did Paul and ESG make money at this. Yes. Is that wrong? No. It happens every day in America and every other country. I feel most people are shortsighted and are ticked off at Elio because they didn't get their prize. They wanted it really bad so they could show it off to their friends and general public. They use it as a way to show how smart they are. As of now, the exact opposite happened. The thing is, the Elio business model was not centered around for SIL# XXXXX to get their vehicle but for the business to grow and be profitable. You have to look long term and for others, not just for your own short term personal bragging device.

I didn't want an Elio to show off in front of my friends or to brag about it. I wanted it to drive around economically. Period. I wanted to see him succeed in the marketplace and to see his idea catch on across the US and the world. I would have liked to see competing products introduced and see masses of people leave big trucks, SUVs and crossovers alone. We guzzle too much gas as a country and it costs us a fortune.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't want an Elio to show off in front of my friends or to brag about it. I wanted it to drive around economically. Period. I wanted to see him succeed in the marketplace and to see his idea catch on across the US and the world. I would have liked to see competing products introduced and see masses of people leave big trucks, SUVs and crossovers alone. We guzzle too much gas as a country and it costs us a fortune.
That would be the competing Arcimoto FUV and EMV SOLO urban commuter options to supplement the big trucks, SUVs, and crossovers that are driven on average of 33 miles to work everyday. :)

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don;t forget that we have too many people living in McMansions. it's not uncommon for a family of 4 to live in a 3500 sqft house. We need to make 1000 sqft the maximum for a family of four. I grew up in a 800 sqft house and we had a family of 6. My wife was in a 700 sqft house and they had 8. They also only had one car as their mom just took the bus and walked everywhere. That's efficient. Just go tell an American today that's the way they need to live because it keeps us from guzzling up natural resources.

Then talking about other countries. We use its more fuel over places like Germany or France or England. On the other hand, go look at the size of those countries as compared to the US. Plus those countries have excellent public transportation which means, you don't need to drive in your car all of the time. We can't have that in the US because everyone tells me, it's too corrupt. As we all know the auto industry and road construction industries are squeaky clean.

So yes, the Elio was a great idea but I honestly believe it was too good to be true. You can't build a three wheeler that has to compete against 4 wheelers. Paul tried but realized to do so, it need to be like a 4 wheeler in comfort and safety. The existing three wheelers are play toys which are limited use. Elio could have competed in that industry but found that was not possible unless the price was there to live up to the business plan. Yes, do not forget the business plan as it's more than just the vehicle itself. Things like the 3yr 36K mile warranty, 120 company stores, training of Pep Boys, filling in the Pep Boys voids for service (i.e. St. Louis MO), stocking parts and then the building between 125K and 250K per year. Elio could do it if they had the size of an operation like Vanderhall, FUV and Solo, so comparing those to Elio is like comparing apples to oranges.

In the end, you want America to change and as i have figured out, telling us what we need pretty much doesn't work. Especially when it encroaches on our freedom. People look at buying a Suburban as freedom because they can to it if they like. As we have seen, the Elio never got the support of Americans like they thought it would. It's just that we are seeing it now.

Top Bottom