• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Financing Elio Motors Development And Production

elio_curious

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
So according to the meeting notes from February 2010, Elio was looking to raise $260 million, possibly from the ATVM Government Loan Program (but they backed away from that) to get the production started.

It wouldn't take much for a few of the USA's "1 percenters" to throw that money in a pot and get the production actually happening...

It makes me wonder - why the hesitation?

ElioFrank

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Venture capitalist don't believe there's a market for it. I just want mine and if they go under, I'm okay with that :D I know, selfish.

Seriously though, I really want this to succeed. Paul is correct, I drive 60 miles, one way, to work. The Elio would save me a ton of money and I think it's cool. Are there enough people like me, that would buy 250,000/year? Dunno but I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of us.

The government loaned out all that money to Fisker and that was $100,000 car? Who was going to buy that? Meanwhile, a car that could really help the masses gets left on the sidelines.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The good news is that since 2010 the stock market has recovered well so the chances of finding venture capitalists willing to invest money with the strings Elio can live with are much higher today than they were then. I am hoping that with a real fully operational prototype and a bunch of reservations already in hand that Elio Motors can line up what they need to get into production and start delivering autocycles to the masses.

elio_curious

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Browsing the Forbes 400 richest Americans, even down to #400 they're worth 1.3 Billion each, so $260M isn't much if a few of the, say Top 100 threw some $ in a pile :D

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem with venture capitalists is they want a huge percentage of ownership. With one or two investors, Paul may only retain 10% ownership, just enough to be considered a major owner and retain corporate voting rights.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It wouldn't take much for a few of the USA's "1 percenters" to throw that money in a pot and get the production actually happening...

It makes me wonder - why the hesitation?

The landscape is littered with failed startups. DeLorean, Corbin, Aptera, etc.

elio_curious

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Toyota, Walmart, McDonalds, HP, Intel didn't all start anywhere near the size they are now....

So why is it that Elio has to jump in at a HUGE sized factory and proposed huge vehicle-per-day production rate?

Wouldn't it have been easier all around to start with a Modest size and production rate, and go on from there? I understand the "economies of Scale" concept, but still......

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Venture capitalist don't believe there's a market for it. I just want mine and if they go under, I'm okay with that :D I know, selfish.

Seriously though, I really want this to succeed. Paul is correct, I drive 60 miles, one way, to work. The Elio would save me a ton of money and I think it's cool. Are there enough people like me, that would buy 250,000/year? Dunno but I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of us.

The government loaned out all that money to Fisker and that was $100,000 car? Who was going to buy that? Meanwhile, a car that could really help the masses gets left on the sidelines.

Go figure..... :(

Top Bottom