• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ev Crate Motor

FC

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wonder what the range would be if the battery replaced where the gas tank is located, with the same weight as the gas tank.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That would be the thing, the batteries, how much voltage would you need to get decent range?
And where would you mount them?
An Elio holds 8 gallons of gas. The tank is behind and below the rear seat. From some pics I've seen, it's a rectangle. If we take the width of a seat to be around 20" and assume the tank would be that same width, then that would be a 20.0L X 8.7H X 8.7W at around 50 lbs full.

I thought I'd look for a ready engineered battery module from a known company. I found that a Model S which is 85kWH has battery modules in it that are 5kWH with dimensions of 27.0L X 3.0H X 11.8 W (56 lbs). If by chance you could cheat the width, length and height of the Elio in that area to fit one of those (from looking down from the top) you could stack three of them for a total of 168 lbs and 15kWH.

Now the question is, what does that 15kWH get you when using that driveline and replacing the gas tank with an off the shelf battery pack? The Solo has 16kWH and FUV has 12kWH.

Note, the 85kWH Model S has 14 of these modules which would make them 6kWH but the specs on the used ones you can buy list 5kWH. I'd suspect 5kWH is usable in the real world.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While spitballing, the Elio could add into that, batteries in the floor. Let's say the Elio needs to raise the floor up 5" to accommodate a battery pack there too. The height of the Elio is 54" and that would bring it to 59" (the same as my Golf Alltrack). If there would be 60" of usable space under the Elio and keeping that same 27" width, you could add in 5 extra battery modules for a total of 8. That would give you 40kWH and an extra 280 + 168 for a total of 448 lbs. If the current Elio weighs 1350 lbs dry, then it would be around 1800 lbs (about the weight of a mid 70's VW Beetle).

Then again, what would a 40kWH Elio do on a tank of electric? A BMW i3 with the 42kWH battery goes 150 miles and comes in at about 2650 lbs. It's the big box that holds 4 people and cargo. Could the Elio make it to 200 mi without a problem? Could it do 200 miles while using heat or AC?

The biggest problem with current off the shelf technology is that the real estate for battery packs vs the range is what you have to design around. This is why Tesla was a game changer because they made the floor a big battery. Same for the Rivian. Bigger is better for EV's.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, how about headlights and radio? And you know people have to have hi-tech gadgets like lane marker detection, and front and rear sensors and all of the other goodies. This all grab power, so cut that mileage down what 15-20% more? So maybe 150 miles?

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I always wanted to build an early model Ford Flatbed truck. Something in the 1929 to 1932 range. With an electric motor driving the front wheels, a dropped axel (like on a trailer) could be used in back, keeping the bed lower. Figure there would be lots of room for batteries under the bed and that the batteries would keep the weight somewhat centered. Picture below is a model of a flatbed.

Ford Flatbed.jpg

Brookville Roadsters is just a few minutes away from where I live, and they have complete new bodies, including extended.
https://brookvilleroadster.com/

Now all I need is to hit the lottery, retire, and build it.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok, how about headlights and radio? And you know people have to have hi-tech gadgets like lane marker detection, and front and rear sensors and all of the other goodies. This all grab power, so cut that mileage down what 15-20% more? So maybe 150 miles?
That's why when you buy an Elio, you start with the base model and add what you want. If people want Park Pilot, Infinite Skyz, Tire Pressure Monitoring and the Heads Up Display, then they can order what they want. Same for the radio options Elio has. In the end the range would be the same as long as you ordered the base model and didn't trick it out.

Plus, if Elio went 100% LED on the lighting for the car, that will cut a pretty good amount of load as opposed to the current incandescent that comes on the current model.

An EV version is doable but the range will not be the 672 miles that people have come to expect. So, ICE is the only choice right now. Maybe the Elio 2.0 will have an EV option. By the time they get to that, we will have even more advanced battery technology.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I always wanted to build an early model Ford Flatbed truck. Something in the 1929 to 1932 range. With an electric motor driving the front wheels, a dropped axel (like on a trailer) could be used in back, keeping the bed lower. Figure there would be lots of room for batteries under the bed and that the batteries would keep the weight somewhat centered. Picture below is a model of a flatbed.

View attachment 23703

Brookville Roadsters is just a few minutes away from where I live, and they have complete new bodies, including extended.
https://brookvilleroadster.com/

Now all I need is to hit the lottery, retire, and build it.
You could almost keep the rear the same as Tesla modules for the Model 3 are about 3.5" thick. I'd think that the total you could build for a bed would be around 5" thick. Then put 1/2" thick planks on top and the sides. It'll disguise it as a flat bed. For the front if you use upper and lower control arms and uprights from a Subaru (like what Factory Five does on the 818) then you would have hubs with splines where you can put axles in it. Then run that to the transverse EV powertrain. You could also use strut assemblies from a late model Camaro as the front hubs are from something else and thus have splines in them.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Oct 19, 18:44 EDT

Elio Motors

Hello,

Here is a drop-in electric motor to consider that has 110 hp. and would fit in your vehicle so you can offer gas or electric.

https://jalopnik.com/finally-an-electric-crate-motor-you-can-drop-into-your-1839168140

What do you think?

Signed,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elio Motors Customer Service
(Elio Motors)

Oct 21, 12:38 EDT

Thanks for sending it in - we've passed it along to the right people!

Best,
The Elio Team

Top Bottom