• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Driving The Elio?

Dooltd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a Can-Am Spyder which is pretty close to an Elio...on the interstate, i find the Can-Am to be a little darty. Any slight irregularity in the roadway can cause a slight deviation in the direction..I also remember that the BSA FWD threewheel car had a habit of flipping on its side if cornered with great enthusiasm. I am sure that driving the Elio will be a little bit different from what most people are used to.

Welcome to the Forum.
If you want to get quickly shouted down just mention a Can-Am Spyder! I brought one up in a discussion regarding three wheel vehicle insurance rates I and was quickly dismissed by some Elio expert.
It's amazing how much is "known" around here about a car that, aside from a few TV reporters, nobody has actually driven. :cool:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.
If you want to get quickly shouted down just mention a Can-Am Spyder! I brought one up in a discussion regarding three wheel vehicle insurance rates I and was quickly dismissed by some Elio expert.
It's amazing how much is "known" around here about a car that, aside from a few TV reporters, nobody has actually driven. :cool:
I see value in comments sharing experiences members have had with all three wheelers. I hope you didn't take my comment as shout down Can-Am Spyder bashing.......I happen to like them. Hopefully, flyingsquirrel finds his Elio has a more car-like road feel than his Spyder. Some Elio expert?

Dooltd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No Rick, I wasn't referring to you and I'm sorry if you thought so. Like I mentioned, I brought up the Spyder several weeks ago in reference to what Elio insurance might cost. I was quickly reprimanded for the ridiculous idea that another three wheel motorcycle might give some insight as to rates. I guess I'm still smarting over that. :cool:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No Rick, I wasn't referring to you and I'm sorry if you thought so. Like I mentioned, I brought up the Spyder several weeks ago in reference to what Elio insurance might cost. I was quickly reprimanded for the ridiculous idea that another three wheel motorcycle might give some insight as to rates. I guess I'm still smarting over that. :cool:
No sense in taking it personally. Since we don't even know how the Elio will be insured there really is nothing to compare it to. You, as a Spyder owner, automatically know more about your insurance than any person on here can know about Elio insurance. That is one of the things Elio Motors is working on or planning to work on. Most of that has to wait until an actual vehicle is available for evaluation. The prototypes don't count because they are hand built and pieced together with borrowed parts from other much older vehicles.

I'm not a motorcycle rider so I don't know, is the Spyder a two front one back wheel mc or the other way around. I also don't know what the Can Am is. I do know when a fellow I new in the 1950s had to give up his 2 wheel mc for a 3 wheel it had 1 in front and 2 in back. He didn't like it. He said it was much difficult to ride. :-) Z

Dooltd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, Zelio, you're right about taking it personally.
A Can Am Spyder is a three wheel motorcycle with two wheels in front and a powered third wheel in the back. They were introduced with great fanfare a few years ago but don't seem to be very popular, at least in Southern California.
I don't own one but a friend does. I've ridden it and it's okay but I prefer my conventional bike.
Personally, I would buy a used Miata over the Spyder if you're looking for open air transportation. :cool:

Top Bottom