• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ditch The 3 Cylinder?

Aviator

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Seen some comments about the so called "metro 3 cylinder" causing vibrations like having a dead cylinder.
Just to clear some issues 1 cylinder, 3,5 7, or anything else does not matter in the case of rough running or concerns for vibration.
It is all down to the crankshaft design.There is 360 degrees in a circle so no mater how many cylinders whether 1 cylinder or anywhere to a million as long as the crankshaft to piston timing is evenly divided the engine can run smooth as glass.

JDub

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I read they are using a weighted flywheel instead of a balance shaft inside the engine to reduce cost and complexity.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seen some comments about the so called "metro 3 cylinder" causing vibrations like having a dead cylinder.
Just to clear some issues 1 cylinder, 3,5 7, or anything else does not matter in the case of rough running or concerns for vibration.
It is all down to the crankshaft design.There is 360 degrees in a circle so no mater how many cylinders whether 1 cylinder or anywhere to a million as long as the crankshaft to piston timing is evenly divided the engine can run smooth as glass.
I have owned one 3 cylinder engine vehicle in the 1990s but I can't claim to understand what you are talking about. However, I do know I loved that car. It was a total delight to drive and I am looking forward to owning a 3 cylinder Elio. :-) Z

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I have owned one 3 cylinder engine vehicle in the 1990s but I can't claim to understand what you are talking about. However, I do know I loved that car. It was a total delight to drive and I am looking forward to owning a 3 cylinder Elio. :) Z

I owned a 3-cyl car in the 90's too! Subaru Justy. Dang thing would overheat if stuck in traffic, even in the dead of winter. It really needed the air moving through to help cool it.

:cool:

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score

3cyl can be made smoother by utilizing a balance shaft or a heavier flywheel/harmonic balancer. They are not inherently smooth. If you want a smooth engine, a V12 provides the smoothest geometry.

Top Bottom