• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Camping During Pandemic....

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It must be disheartening for travel lovers unable or afraid to go anywhere via cruise or bus tour because of this pandemic that will linger on even after every single one has been vaccinated. Let's face it, in a year's time, we turned into cautious people before we were carefree. CDC still insist on wearing masks even after both doses of the vaccine has been administered. That said, the business of cruising and bus tours are hurting. I see people going back to long drives in their cars, suv's and campers were they still roam free and be farther away from close contact with people. So, has anybody on here went back to camping lately?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
we didn't go back to it, we never stopped .... there are untold legions of people who still camp on a regular basis .... some are full-timers whose home is their RV .... some (like us) are seasonal campers ..... some are weekenders or vacationers .... we were camped in Texas last year when the news about Covid really hit the airwaves .... back then the implication was, folks our age were doomed .... we decided that at our ages we don't have enough time left to give up what we really enjoy doing .... since then, we've learned that RV'ing is a good match for dealing with Covid .... our campers are self contained and give us much more protection than living in an apartment .... while traveling we schedule our rest stops for truck stops .... we use our own facilities and the only contact we have with anything that isn't ours is touching the fuel handle .... sanitizing the handle has become second nature .... once in a campground the same is true for the utility hookups ..... we still have the same risk as we do at home .... grocery shopping is but one example .... 2020 was a record year for the RV industry and the campgrounds we have visited have high occupancy rates

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
we didn't go back to it, we never stopped .... there are untold legions of people who still camp on a regular basis .... some are full-timers whose home is their RV .... some (like us) are seasonal campers ..... some are weekenders or vacationers .... we were camped in Texas last year when the news about Covid really hit the airwaves .... back then the implication was, folks our age were doomed .... we decided that at our ages we don't have enough time left to give up what we really enjoy doing .... since then, we've learned that RV'ing is a good match for dealing with Covid .... our campers are self contained and give us much more protection than living in an apartment .... while traveling we schedule our rest stops for truck stops .... we use our own facilities and the only contact we have with anything that isn't ours is touching the fuel handle .... sanitizing the handle has become second nature .... once in a campground the same is true for the utility hookups ..... we still have the same risk as we do at home .... grocery shopping is but one example .... 2020 was a record year for the RV industry and the campgrounds we have visited have high occupancy rates
Indeed sir! I see more people going for long drives in campers, RVs and cars so they can still enjoy traveling in total freedom and in control of their situation like yourself. One of our friends just took off on a long drive out-of-state in their brand spanking new RV! I can see my wife and I in one too but they don't come cheap.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Indeed sir! I see more people going for long drives in campers, RVs and cars so they can still enjoy traveling in total freedom and in control of their situation like yourself. One of our friends just took off on a long drive out-of-state in their brand spanking new RV! I can see my wife and I in one too but they don't come cheap.

my second career was in the RV industry .... during the last 10+ years one of my major duties was teaching folks how figure out what type of camper (if any) is designed to meet their wants/needs and to use their camper once they have purchased one .... they come in a wide range of shapes and sizes with a wide range of amenities .... depending on how much time people have to spend in one and where they want to go, its possible to spend less traveling in an RV than they can sitting at home

Reaction score
My little dog & I was camping Mother's day weekend last year at my ANNUAL CARING NEIGHBOR'S UNITED FLOWER & PLANT SALE, in Ravenna, Ohio. The sale was in the front yard of a friend's home, on Route 88. We just ordered our plants for this year and the sale is still going to take place. And yes, Tippy & I will be camping. The rules will be the same. MASKS & SHOES ARE OPPIONAL and Please bring correct change. My RV is the back of my dead father In-Law's 1993 pick up truck. We inherited both the dog & the truck from my Father In-Law. It just wouldn't be right is miss it.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We have had a few RV's but bought another one back in April of 2020. RV dealers were dead and it was a good time to get a deal. We figured people would all of a sudden go nuts on buying campers after they figured out that they wanted to get out of the house. We found out that many state parks were at 25% capacity last year, thus when they were full, it was like they were empty when there. We traveled for a month and only saw a few people.

For this year our plans were to go out west. My wife had a stroke back in the beginning of February. Thus it's been lots of care for her but we have decided to go out next weekend in the RV just get out of the house and care facilities. We do a number of Harvest Hosts and that is what we will do this next weekend. If that goes well, I think it'll be us doing a number of short trips and getting out to the boonies and see where it goes from there.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We have had a few RV's but bought another one back in April of 2020. RV dealers were dead and it was a good time to get a deal. We figured people would all of a sudden go nuts on buying campers after they figured out that they wanted to get out of the house. We found out that many state parks were at 25% capacity last year, thus when they were full, it was like they were empty when there. We traveled for a month and only saw a few people.

For this year our plans were to go out west. My wife had a stroke back in the beginning of February. Thus it's been lots of care for her but we have decided to go out next weekend in the RV just get out of the house and care facilities. We do a number of Harvest Hosts and that is what we will do this next weekend. If that goes well, I think it'll be us doing a number of short trips and getting out to the boonies and see where it goes from there.
Have fun and keep on RVing! So much to see and explore in our beautiful country. Sorry to hear about your wife.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Have fun and keep on RVing!

the campground where we are parked right now has 360 sites .... I haven't gone out and made a count but based on driving through I'd estimate that about 20 aren't occupied ..... I believe that during the next couple of weeks the schools in this area will be on spring break (some systems are on break the first week, some the second) .... based on being here during that time if a site should come open it will not stay open very long

Top Bottom