• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Calling All Cars, There's A Bolo For All Elios On The Road

Yogi Leigh

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Let's just say that Nebraska keeps its current motorcycle law and applies it to the Elio. Is the police department going to focus their efforts looking for Elio drivers not wearing helmet? What a waste of energy. Would they make it a priority to mention it to officers? Would it really be enforced? I'm thinking Nebraska will go with the flow and fall in line with the other states that exempt the Elio from this law. If not, it will end up being an obscure law that will eventually be laughed off the books.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's just say that Nebraska keeps its current motorcycle law and applies it to the Elio. Is the police department going to focus their efforts looking for Elio drivers not wearing helmet? What a waste of energy. Would they make it a priority to mention it to officers? Would it really be enforced? I'm thinking Nebraska will go with the flow and fall in line with the other states that exempt the Elio from this law. If not, it will end up being an obscure law that will eventually be laughed off the books.
Point taken.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe they would enforce it. If your vehicle has a motorcycle licence plate, they would pull you over for not having a helmet if the law required one. Same reason they couldn't give you a ticket for driving in the HOV lane. It's a motorcycle.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Oregon, Yogi Leigh. I suspect the recent publicity will aid and abet state lawmakers in realizing they need to jump on the "exempt autocycles from helmet and endorsement laws" band wagon. As the popularity grows so will the pressure to be reasonable/smart about this issue. However, the last I heard (and that was in the late 1960s) there is still a law on the books that say you have to clean up after your horse if it messes the bridge that crosses a river in downtown Austin, TX. I may not remember the name of the river or the bridge but I sure do remember the law. Memory banks are such interesting resources. :p :rolleyes: :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
if an Elio owner has to travel through a state where they have to wear a helmet, they are going to have to come up with storage space for 2 helmets .... so much for having usable truck space

Jim

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Oregon, Yogi Leigh. I suspect the recent publicity will aid and abet state lawmakers in realizing they need to jump on the "exempt autocycles from helmet and endorsement laws" band wagon. As the popularity grows so will the pressure to be reasonable/smart about this issue. However, the last I heard (and that was in the late 1960s) there is still a law on the books that say you have to clean up after your horse if it messes the bridge that crosses a river in downtown Austin, TX. I may not remember the name of the river or the bridge but I sure do remember the law. Memory banks are such interesting resources. :p :rolleyes: :) Z
Early motoring laws included stopping at country intersections and firing a gun before proceeding, and dismantling your auto-mobile and hiding the pieces in the roadside bushes if an oncoming horse refuses to pass by you.

Source: 1961 NBC TV Special "Merrily We Roll Along." Host was Groucho Marks. Interesting and at times an amusing program. I've watched my VHS copy several times over the years. A DVD is still available.

http://www.amazon.com/Merrily-We-Roll-Along-Automobile/dp/B0000ACOXW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1410190665&sr=8-6&keywords=merrily we roll along

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Already got one picked out for the "helmet required" states (which as of now includes the one I live in).

kaiser.jpg

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree, if the law is not changed it will be as enforceable and obscure as this Massachusetts law: "A woman can not be on top in sexual activities."

Top Bottom