• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Boldride: "elio Stops Off In North Carolina During Nationwide Tour"

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been a big fan of the Elio since I first heard about the project a couple of years ago. To me, it’s the first real successor to the original VW beetle: an ultra-compact, fuel-efficient vehicle that’s priced so low that almost any driver can afford to buy one. During most of that time, however, I’ve been worried that I was one of a tiny handful of weirdoes who saw the product’s potential, ruining the chances that it would ever be produced.

Those fears were laid to rest on December 6, when the vehicle went on display at a mall in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Read more at:
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/elio-stops-off-north-carolina-during-nationwide-tour-170038260.html

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been a big fan of the Elio since I first heard about the project a couple of years ago. To me, it’s the first real successor to the original VW beetle: an ultra-compact, fuel-efficient vehicle that’s priced so low that almost any driver can afford to buy one. During most of that time, however, I’ve been worried that I was one of a tiny handful of weirdoes who saw the product’s potential, ruining the chances that it would ever be produced.

Those fears were laid to rest on December 6, when the vehicle went on display at a mall in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Read more at:
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/elio-stops-off-north-carolina-during-nationwide-tour-170038260.html
Interesting article. I take it you are the author or am I misunderstanding something. I did notice a couple of errors. EM does not own the plant in Shreveport. They are leasing it from the company that is handling it for Caddo Parrish. The Parrish bought the plant.

There will only be 7 colors - the number of color booths currently in the plant. They may add other options in the future but most likely not for a couple of years. The are doing the painting this way because it is less expensive to have one booth per color and not changing it. The plant will produce 14 vehicles - one of each color in manual and the same for automatic. They are hoping to keep the cost of the AMT below $1,000. All options will be individually priced and installed outside the main production line.

I'm very glad you enjoyed visitng the Eio and the Elio tour team. They represent the dedicated kind of people EM hires. You can't ask for better people. I know I sure enjoyed meeting and seeing them in Portland, OR in July. They have covered a lot of territory and met a lot of people in the past 2 years. EM is lucky to have them. Thank you for posting your thoughts and opinions of the Elio. You should get your Spot In LIne number early next year. That is always a fun time for everyone. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Additional error in article. "With a top speed in excess of 120 mph and 0 to 60 acceleration under 10 seconds, the Elio won’t exactly be “hell on wheels.”" top speed is 107.

Overall though, a good article :)
I knew there was something else but I couldn't remember what. You are definitely correct - overall it is a very good article and I am very glad he posted it. I think the fact that the author actually saw the Elio, liked it and reserved one is an added bonus. :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've never heard of the fellow but it can only help to have writers for publications related to the automotive industry step up and put their money down .... its also good to see the writer encouraging folks to visit the tour in person

Jim

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

Read more at:

Thanks for the link Paladin! Other interesting things: use of the word "iconoclast".

Top Bottom