• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Autocycle?

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm a little confused with all the focus on the autocycle legislation. Aren't cars like the Elio already 50 state compliant? I know some required helmets but that was easily sorted out. It just seems to me like it's a lot of wasted time trying to change federal laws when they aren't really relevant.

I'm also skeptical about government in general. Creating a new class of car just gives the powers that be more chances to meddle. Flying under the radar is often best.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Car is defined by something with 4 wheels. Motorcycle is defined by <4 wheels. A few states have statues where you need to wear a helmet with a motorcycle as well as have a motorcycle license. What Elio has been doing is to get it so people do not have to wear a helmet in that type of vehicle, but also to not have to get an additional license.

FC

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe they are hoping to get autocycles qualified to be part of the CAFE system so they can sell CAFE credits?
Not having to have a center head light would be nice too.

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd rather give my money to Elio to do it for me. I don't think they could get the laws changed so instead I just have to import a Suzuki Cappuccino or hope that Paul is actually getting something done.

I don't want to go electric but I may have to.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm a little confused with all the focus on the autocycle legislation. Aren't cars like the Elio already 50 state compliant? I know some required helmets but that was easily sorted out. It just seems to me like it's a lot of wasted time trying to change federal laws when they aren't really relevant.

I'm also skeptical about government in general. Creating a new class of car just gives the powers that be more chances to meddle. Flying under the radar is often best.

The focus was to increase the user base. Many people wouldn't go get a motorcycle license just to drive a 3 wheel car. To increase the appeal to investors, Elio had to show that the market encompasses all people. So, to do that, Elio went out and had Legislation changed in many states to get rid of both the helmet requirement and the separate licensing requirement.

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The focus was to increase the user base. Many people wouldn't go get a motorcycle license just to drive a 3 wheel car. To increase the appeal to investors, Elio had to show that the market encompasses all people. So, to do that, Elio went out and had Legislation changed in many states to get rid of both the helmet requirement and the separate licensing requirement.

Right, but that had already been done. Before the absurdly specific autocycle regulation went in all but I think three states were on board. We had a site that listed them but I've lost the link.

All I see is that it makes safety regulations a little tougher, maybe. That could be good if it means Elio can market it as safer.

edit, found the link https://www.eliomotors.com/a-legislative-update/

Top Bottom