• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1986 Volkswagen Scooter Concept

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While it was never made - an error that I think Volkswagen made, I think it would have been cool to drive one. Car Styling .

www.carstyling.ru_resources_concept_large_1986_Volkswagen_Scooter_design_sketch_01.jpg

Especially if it looked like this drawing.

www.carstyling.ru_resources_concept_1986_VW_Scooter_Volkswagen_AutoMuseum_01.jpg

I think it is really neat. I would have bought one (assuming it was reasonably priced). I think the gull wings are really neat.

www.carstyling.ru_resources_concept_large_1986_VW_Scooter_05.jpg

It looks comfortable.

www.carstyling.ru_resources_concept_large_1986_VW_Scooter_14.jpg

Perhaps Volkswagen could make an electric version of this? It could - in my opinion - fit in with all those electric vehicles they are planning to make.

I did a search but did not see it being poster here before.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If one was to be built today, perhaps they could use the front wheel drive system from a car like the Mini Cooper? It seems it might fit into that space? (just thinking out loud). :)

dbacksfan81

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If one was to be built today, perhaps they could use the front wheel drive system from a car like the Mini Cooper? It seems it might fit into that space? (just thinking out loud). :)

VW and Audi have been producing FWD cars since the 60's. VW introduced their first water cooled FWD cars in 1973 with the VW Polo. In 1974 VW introduced the Rabblt/Golf, Dasher, Passat and Sirocco along side the Polo. VW and Audi being sister companies, also supplied Chrysler with drivetrains for the K Cars when they were introduced until Chrysler could afford to tool up and build their own drivetrains. VW would not have to borrow or buy a drivetrain from another manufacturer, and the Mini Cooper is built by BMW.

VW and Audi have done a lot of great design studies over the years, most had ideas that made it into production cars. I'm sure that if VW really thought there was a market for a two seat, economical commuter car, three wheels or four, they would have built one. They realize that the market for mass produced economical cars are capable of seating four people.

Other than the Honda CRX/Del Sol, the Mazda RX-7 and Miata were designed as a sports cars, no one has mass produced a two seat economical commuter car for sale in the US. Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Mazda and others have built Kei cars and City Cars, but they were never designed to be sold outside of the Asian markets.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why not just use the current drivetrain from the VW UP! (which is a Seat Mii or Skoda Citigo)? They come with a 1.0l 3 cylinder direct injection, variable cam timing (60hp and 75hp), a 110hp turbo version, CNG version, electric hybrid and full electric. The car is 21.1" shorter in length, 14.7" shorter in wheelbase and 13.9" narrower than the Elio. Comes in 2 and 4 door plus holds 4 people. Pretty much similar dimensions of a Fiat 500.

I rented a Seat Mii a few years ago in Ireland. It was the typical cheapo car like a Mitsu Mirage here in the states. It got you from point A to B but it was nice as it was easy to park when you are in a city where parking is at a premium. Plus with a 4 door and one rear seat folded down, you had plenty of space for luggage for three people and the rear passenger could get in and out easily. For two people you have plenty of room.
Here's the Seat Mii that is full electric. It has a short range of only 160 miles and a top speed of only 80 mph and super expensive at $28K. I assume it's a compliance car for VAG.

https://www.seat.com/carworlds/mii-electric/overview.html

In the end, VAG only gets to the concept stage for three wheelers and that's about it. They have off the shelf parts to make a three wheeler with the engine you desire, so they could easily make a three wheeler.

You could look into the Fiat Twinair. It's a two cylinder. 875 and 964 cc. Non turbo is 60hp and turbo are 85 and 105 hp. That has been replaced by the Fiat global engine. It's a 3 cylinder 1.0l Turbo that make 120hp. Plus it's sold in a Jeep Renegade right here in the USA. So you could look at one of those engines in the flesh and picture it in your Elio. As for everyone that is super excited about the Ford Ecoboost 3 cylinder (which is no longer sold in the USA) for the Elio, I hope that it is the Fiat Global engine as it's already on the road here in the USA and makes a cool 120hp out of the box.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Other than the Honda CRX/Del Sol, the Mazda RX-7 and Miata were designed as a sports cars, no one has mass produced a two seat economical commuter car for sale in the US. Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Mazda and others have built Kei cars and City Cars, but they were never designed to be sold outside of the Asian markets.

Funny that you mention Kei cars, I saw a Honda Beat at Target yesterday. It was in rough shape, but would not take much to get back to looking great. My Mazda3 grocery getter looks HUGE compared to that little thing :D

2020-04-15 18.24.52.jpg

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny that you mention Kei cars, I saw a Honda Beat at Target yesterday. It was in rough shape, but would not take much to get back to looking great. My Mazda3 grocery getter looks HUGE compared to that little thing :D

View attachment 24104
Best thing is you can import pretty much anything to the US as long as it's 1995 and older (the 25 year time frame for importing). A while back I was at a place in NJ where a guy imports the Kei trucks and he had a few other Kei cars there. At the time everything was 1994 or older. They were able to get licensed. I don't know how it works with places that have emissions.

dbacksfan81

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Best thing is you can import pretty much anything to the US as long as it's 1995 and older (the 25 year time frame for importing). A while back I was at a place in NJ where a guy imports the Kei trucks and he had a few other Kei cars there. At the time everything was 1994 or older. They were able to get licensed. I don't know how it works with places that have emissions.

Seeing that they are 25 years old, in most states that qualifies for collector/antique plates which also I believe excludes them from emissions testing.

Residents of Phoenix and Tucson metro areas and that commute to work, or school are required to have vehicles produced in 1967 and thereafter, pass vehicle emissions tests. Of course, vehicles newer than 6 years and others with certain exemptions are excluded. As of 2007, Arizona legislature and the EPA have agreed to allow collector cars, that are at least 15 years old but newer than 1966, to receive emission testing exemptions. Cars produced in 1966 and earlier are exempt from emissions testing altogether. There is one caveat to this allowance, however. The vehicle owner must acquire Collector-Car insurance. While less costly than traditional coverage, collector car insurance comes with its own guidelines, including limitations on the number of mileages allotted each year and is a confirmed limited-production vehicle. This law is ideal because many car collectors have difficulty with historic cars passing the emissions test, mostly due to their age.

https://www.sundevilauto.com/historic-license-plates/

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seeing that they are 25 years old, in most states that qualifies for collector/antique plates which also I believe excludes them from emissions testing.

https://www.sundevilauto.com/historic-license-plates/
Here (at least in our county) it needs to be 25 years old then it's exempt same for inspection. Yes, you then need to get insurance for that and are limited to when you can drive it. My neighbor down the street found out that the police crack down on people driving a car with antique/collector/vintage plates as a daily driver. He has a 1985 LTD got pulled over because the same cop seen it driving every day. Thus he got pulled over and warned not to do that and gave him whatever the code was that he was violating. It was something like you can drive it on weekends and for during the week, to a car show or for repair.

Top Bottom