• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1.9 Liter 82hp Three-wheeled Morgan Comparo

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Just saw the specs of the new replica of the three-wheeled Morgan English convertible
sports car. It weighs virtually the same as the Elio but has God-awful aero characteristics.
Has an 82 HP engine versus 55HP for Elio , 103 foot pounds torgue vs 55 for Elio ,1.9 liter engine versus 0.9 liters for Elio and acceleration of 0 to 62 MPH of 6.0 seconds ( 0 to 60 in 5.8 seconds!!!) with a 5 speed manual.
Mileage (European test cycles) - town - 22 MPG, highway - 45 MPG. Base price - $45,800.
If the promised turbocharged Elio motor arrives, I would expect it to come fairly close to
the Morgan engine in power and acceleration, since both cars weigh virtually the same.

Last edited:

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saw the specs of the new replica of the three-wheeled Morgan English convertible
sports car. It weighs virtually the same as the Elio but has God-awful aero characteristics.
Has an 82 HP engine versus 55HP for Elio , 103 foot pounds torgue vs 55 for Elio ,1.9 liter engine versus 0.9 liters for Elio and acceleration of 0 to 62 MPH of 6.0 seconds ( 0 to 60 in 5.8 seconds!!!) with a 5 speed manual.
Mileage (European test cycles) - town - 22 MPG, highway - 45 MPG. Base price - $45,800.
If the promised turbocharged Elio motor arrives, I would expect it to come fairly close to
the Morgan engine in power and acceleration, since both cars weigh virtually the same.
Do you have a link for who "promised" a turbo option?

Danno

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
At the Columbus event I was told they will not offer turbo because the engine design cannot handle it.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a link for who "promised" a turbo option?
At the Columbus event I was told they will not offer turbo because the engine design cannot handle it.
I will have to search a bit to find a link to the video but there is at least one out there where Paul Elio himself discusses IAV engineers working on a turbo for this motor. I doubt this is an option we would see in the first year as they will want to keep it simple/keep costs in line.

The party line of the engine design not being able to handle a turbo is likely correct as it would likely require beefed up internals and a revised cylinder head but it is highly likely the engine block has been designed to handle a turbo and other higher output options in the future.

We do know that even the production engine is detuned for maximum MPG and numbers as high as 70 HP have been discussed as being possible from this engine in current form with nothing more than ECU reprogramming. Those willing to tinker will have a field day with this engine. Keep in mind that a 10 HP increase in power would be nearly 20% more powerful than stock.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting bit to me is that they did not completely reject the notion of a turbo but said that the focus of the first engine is cost and mpg and not a turbo. What does that foretell for the future. :)
Maybe it's time to re-affirm that Paul's design perimeters are a delicate balance of quality and economy and price point. In a way I'm perfectly comfortable leaving that to him. Kind of fun just to go along for the ride.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it's time to re-affirm that Paul's design perimeters are a delicate balance of quality and economy and price point. In a way I'm perfectly comfortable leaving that to him. Kind of fun just to go along for the ride.

Thats why the statements IAV made make perfect sense as to get started Elio Motors needs to be focused on Paul's goal and that is the ride we are all enjoying right now. I actually did point this out in my earlier statement above where I say a turbo will likely not be an option in the first year as the work to keep things simple and economical.

The good thing is that the goals do not mean that down the line there won't be more options and configurations designed to both bring in a wider audience and generate more profit.

Top Bottom