• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Your Car = Totaled. Insurance Payout = $8200. You Need A Car To Commute...

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

Average mpg for 100 miles after being fully charged once on a daily basis ... 60 mpg.

About 30 Miles on fully charged battery ( cost to charge 12kWh Battery) 70 Miles on a 2L Ice and using Hybrid around 46mpg. so for 100 miles a day would be closer to 80Mpg equivalent

Only problem is that the Outlander PHEV it is not yet available in North America.

So not sure what other vehicle I would use.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Buy an inexpensive car (sub-$4000) from a used car lot. Heck, to last me one year I wouldn't spend more than $1000. If I could get a running vehicle for $500, I'd drive that POS for a year, then have Pick-n-Pull haul it out of my driveway on the day my Elio arrives. Pick-n-Pull pays at least $100 for a car, so I'm only $400 in on this piece of junk and it allowed me to save enough of the insurance payout to basically pay for my Elio.

But that's just me. Most of my life has been spent driving crap cars, so I'm used to it.

*Edit:
You don't say your location, but your name is "NorCalPhil", so if I assume Northern California and look at the Redding craigslist, this beauty comes up :) I'd drive it for a year, if it really is as nice as the seller says it is.
https://redding.craigslist.org/cto/5655301230.html

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Buy an inexpensive car (sub-$4000) from a used car lot. Heck, to last me one year I wouldn't spend more than $1000. If I could get a running vehicle for $500, I'd drive that POS for a year, then have Pick-n-Pull haul it out of my driveway on the day my Elio arrives. Pick-n-Pull pays at least $100 for a car, so I'm only $400 in on this piece of junk and it allowed me to save enough of the insurance payout to basically pay for my Elio.

But that's just me. Most of my life has been spent driving crap cars, so I'm used to it.

*Edit:
You don't say your location, but your name is "NorCalPhil", so if I assume Northern California and look at the Redding craigslist, this beauty comes up :) I'd drive it for a year, if it really is as nice as the seller says it is.
https://redding.craigslist.org/cto/5655301230.html
I used to when I was working on cars for a living, fixing them was second nature.
After I got hurt, I had to step up a little to no maintenance except for oil, brakes and tires cars.
That's why I said used Camry, they go forever, but cost a little more.
Next would be a Honda Accord, or an Acura, motors run forever, rest of the car shows wear really easy.
I just read an article, guy had a Toyota PU he bought new in 2007, a month ago, he hit 1,020,763 and Toyota traded him a new 2016 Tundra quad cab limited with the same V8. His big complaint? The cup holders were smaller in the new one and didn't hold his 42oz drinks.
<edit to add link>
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...mile-2007-toyota-tundra/ar-BButwMe?li=BBnbfcL

Back to cars, newer American full size or mid size (1 to 3 years old), yes there are horror stories (and I'm sure someone with post a few) but I have had great luck with Chevy and Dodge (100,000 miles plus with no major problems) where did I get them? New car dealers.

NorCalPhil

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume Northern California and look at the Redding craigslist,
Not quite that far north. SF Bay Area.

I'm considering going after a 1-year-old / 30k mile Mitsu Mirage off a rental car lot. Gas mileage is around 40. Put a year on it, trade it in along with my wife's car for something that can accommodate a growing family. Elio is cash in an account already, so not worried about that.

Could even mess around with Uber in SF for a bit. I've wanted to do that for fun, this would be the opportunity.

NorCalPhil

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read an article, guy had a Toyota PU he bought new in 2007, a month ago, he hit 1,020,763 and Toyota traded him a new 2016 Tundra quad cab limited with the same V8. His big complaint? The cup holders were smaller in the new one and didn't hold his 42oz drinks.
I had 250k on my Audi TT before someone couldn't break in time. I thought I might get 300 or 400 out of it. Still runs great, but $12k estimate to fix it isn't worth taking on. Pains me to look at it now.

I can't imagine over a million in one car.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Could even mess around with Uber in SF for a bit. I've wanted to do that for fun, this would be the opportunity.
Drive for Uber? Or use it for transportation?
If it's drive, don't do it! I did and I would never do it again. There is an Uber Forum and if I find the link I'll send it to you; it tells the true from the drivers point of view, and it's not pretty. For every one person that says they make money, 5 others have lost money. You do know they charge you a fee for driving for them yes? And a cell phone bill, and an inspection fee, and the list goes on. I lost $43 for driving for them for 2 months, never made a cent.

NorCalPhil

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive for Uber? Or use it for transportation?
If it's drive, don't do it! I did and I would never do it again. There is an Uber Forum and if I find the link I'll send it to you; it tells the true from the drivers point of view, and it's not pretty. For every one person that says they make money, 5 others have lost money. You do know they charge you a fee for driving for them yes? And a cell phone bill, and an inspection fee, and the list goes on. I lost $43 for driving for them for 2 months, never made a cent.
That's interesting. I have a few friends who drive for them here, and have had positive experiences. San Francisco may have a larger user base. I'll research it more before doing it regardless.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Top Bottom