• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Transmission

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is the Auto a 5 speed and will it have paddle shifters. Also is cruise control standard? As far as we currently know.

The "auto" trans is the same as the "manual" one. They are both, based on the Aisin 5-speed. The "auto" (AMT) version will be fitted with computer controlled "actuators" to handle the shifting chores.
I don't think paddle shifters are "in the works" for the first year. :)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the Auto a 5 speed and will it have paddle shifters. Also is cruise control standard? As far as we currently know.
EM announced not that long ago that Cruise Control will now be standard equipment.
The paddle shifters are supposed to be an option you can order and an extra charge.

I forgot who it was that asked at the last tour stop; but it was said (about the paddle shifters) from one of the tour group members.
The Cruise was in a newsletter,

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I'm really looking forward to the auto, the more I think about it. Because it is essentially a computer-controlled manual transmission, I can anticipate similarly low/simple maintenance costs, yet I forego having to pump that clutch pedal! I would like paddle shifters (if only for the "cool factor") but I am fine with having manual shifting control on the stick.

I imagine most of the time I will drive it in 'A' (automatic) mode, but every now and then I'll switch over to 'M' (manual) mode and have a little fun.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to the auto, the more I think about it. Because it is essentially a computer-controlled manual transmission, I can anticipate similarly low/simple maintenance costs, yet I forego having to pump that clutch pedal! I would like paddle shifters (if only for the "cool factor") but I am fine with having manual shifting control on the stick.

I imagine most of the time I will drive it in 'A' (automatic) mode, but every now and then I'll switch over to 'M' (manual) mode and have a little fun.
I thought the manual didn't have a clutch?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the manual didn't have a clutch?
The "automatic" doesn't have the clutch pedal. But you can shift it via the transmission lever or the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
The "Standard" (aka stick shift) does have a clutch pedal. You shift via the lever or the paddle shifters but you have to use the clutch pedal.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's always some confusion about the clutch. Both the manual and the AMT (automated manual) have a clutch mechanism (flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, release bearing and clutch fork). The difference is with the manual transmission the clutch fork is actuated by cable by the clutch pedal, the AMT uses an electrical linear actuator to operate the clutch fork. So, bottom line is both have clutches but only the manual has the pedal.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Coss --- I respectfully disagree with your statement on the paddle shifting the manual transmission. The Aisin 5 speed utilizes the same "H" as all 5 speed manuals use. I've never seen anything different from EM. Paddle shift on the AMT on the other hand would be simple since manually shifting the AMT is basically just tripping a microswitch up or down.

Top Bottom