• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Next Generation Elio Engine ? (2-stroke Turbo Diesel)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
interesting concept .... from the article, it has a ways to go before being ready for prime time .... I suspect that it would end up doubling the price of an Elio .... who knows what future generations of Elio power plants will be .... I suspect that if the IAV engine proves to be as successful as we all hope, EM may well follow the same process if/when they feel there is a need to repower their line

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Popular Mechanics is famous for presenting engine technologies that never come to anything. I don't know if it's because the technology turns out not as good as the research indicated, or it would take too much money to developed it for the return on investment, or maybe it would just be too expensive to build to justify the fuel savings. Who knows? Then again I'm sure LOTS of people could contribute an 'oil-company conspiracy' to the page. :-)

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Diesel in most of Europe is as popular as it is due to subsidy. Here in the US it is the highest cost fuel on the market. In the old days diesel engines would last longer than there gasoline fired counterparts. With fuel injection today that is no longer the case for most. Yes it turns more of the energy in each gallon to forward motion but not enough to make it cost effective unless you need huge power without subsidizing the price.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on this one from EcoMotors:

crank-block-loop.gif

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
interesting .... I suspect that one like that would have problems fitting under the hood of an Elio .... there seems to be a variety of new engine designs in various stages of development/production .... while I don't believe in changing something that is working just to make a change, I do like to see new and innovative advancements .... keeping a $6,800 (or so) vehicle in mind, it will take a really unique power plant to deliver more than the IAV motor at anywhere near the price

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The last significant advance in the ICE was gasoline direct injection, and even THAT they seemed to downplay as an advance, probably because we consumers are leery of NEW things. Getting burned on not-so-well-tested technology in the past might have contributed to that. Or, with the average new car costing $31252, and the median wage per person being $26695, perhaps we are not so interested in gambling on whatever NEW thing comes along. It might really BE better, or it might blow up as soon as the warranty expires. C'mon everybody, place your bets........
So these new innovations might very well just not have a market that is ready to sell to. The introduction of sub $10,000 vehicles might very well prove to be a viable test platform for such innovations. After all, what's the worst that can happen? If it blows up I'm out ten G. And if I can always just yank the new not-so-super motor out and swap an old design in for a grand or two, then I might be inclined to chance something new, just to try it out.
Something to think about, future engine designers.......

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like Diesel in big or small engines. However the tree huggers hate it. They are winning in Europe also and it looks like the tide is turning away from Diesel. Fact is they want us out of ours cars and on the peoples bus and attacking high mileage and powerful Diesel is just one of their tactics

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on this one from EcoMotors:

crank-block-loop.gif
This is a two stroke diesel using two pistons per cylinder. The Germans used this concept during WWII in some of their submarines. At the bottom of the piston's travel, the blue and red ports are uncovered. Fresh air is blown in through the blue ports forcing exhaust out the red ports leaving the cylinder chamber full of fresh air. Then the pistons travel towards their "top" position compressing the air. At the "top", fuel is injected. This design has always seemed unnecessarily complicated to me. Just the thing German engineers are known for.

I like the simpler two stroke diesel design of one piston per cylinder with a large single exhaust valve at the top.

Top Bottom