• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Start Stop System

Start/Stop system utilizing existing battery but better starter. Worth the expense?

• Total voters

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How hard/expensive would it be to put a start/stop system in the Elio? I'm talking about the kind that shuts off fuel delivery when you are braking below 5mph or so prior to coming to a stop. You sit at the light with the engine off and the car in first (for the stick, of course). The starter would have to be a little more beefy but not much. When you lift your foot off the brake, the automatic cars would start their motors, the manual transmission version would wait till you hit the gas and at that point, the starter would spin the flywheel, thus the engine, thus the transmission. It would stay engaged just long enough to start the car. The hypermiler guys shut down as they coast to stops already though that's not quite safe as they are driving cars that weigh enough to need more brake boost than the little Elio will require. Hmm.. What do you guys think about a system similar to what I tried to describe? (I know we could probably just use the key and shut it down on our own easy enough...)

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Depends on the cost. If after options I'll be spending 12000 on this, I'll just buy a Ford Fiesta or other small used car. Keep the price low

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Start/stop systems are very well understood and I doubt it would be very expensive to implement in the Elio. It would help improve the city fuel economy number which is where the aerodynamics don't assist much. I think this is one of those things that may just come down to how close they are to their cost goals vs how much would it take to implement per vehicle.

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I voted no but with a big caveat. If it is was offered, I would pay for it. Most important to me is I want this thing built, so no for now, keep this simple as possible so as many people can afford it as possible.

For now I just want Point of Sale creature comfort options like I can get on other cars from the factory.

If all goes well with the first year's production run, then in my dreams I would like Elio production model version 2 to have simple start/stop or mild hybrid, if that goes well, Version 3 all electric option with 100-200 mile range, solar thin film roof, etc...

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't think of a car under $20k that has a start/stop system. Is there a new car under $20k that has s/s system? So I think expense would be the limiting factor here. I only know of them on more expensive cars.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't think of a car under $20k that has a start/stop system. Is there a new car under $20k that has s/s system? So I think expense would be the limiting factor here. I only know of them on more expensive cars.
This is true only here in the states. Around the globe start/stop has rapidly become standard fare across the price spectrum. With modern drive by wire systems start/stop is purely a software feature.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is true only here in the states. Around the globe start/stop has rapidly become standard fare across the price spectrum. With modern drive by wire systems start/stop is purely a software feature.

Well that's where we are-the states. I know my car in Europe has a start/stop system. Not in US cars due to cost.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's where we are-the states. I know my car in Europe has a start/stop system. Not in US cars due to cost.

The reason they are not common here is they are not required and car companies have found American buyers claim not to like it. In many cars there is literally no additional hardware needed just some software code. Amazingly in many cars they don't even use the starter to restart the engine. The computer knows the engine position and just restarts combustion.

Top Bottom