• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Refinements? No Thanks.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been watching many videos on youtube of Elio prototype test drives - those few lucky individuals who somehow managed to find themselves behind the wheel of an Elio prototype.

They tepidly like the car, but all of them [except one] complain of heavy steering, excessive cockpit noise, cramped passenger seating, etc... Whine whine whine. What a bunch of crybabies.

Those things are what make the Elio attractive to me. I don't want power steering. I want to feel the road in my hands. I want to hear the motor and tranny working. The passenger is complaining about headroom? So what. Kick his butt out and make him walk. He'll have plenty of headroom walking. :D

I really like the concept of a spartan vehicle. My first car was a '71 Datsun 240Z. The guy i bought it from had stripped it for racing. If it didn't make the car go, or make the car stop, it got ripped out.

It was noisy and not very comfortable but it sure was a blast to drive.

Im hoping the Elio will be like that.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You're the exception. In order to appeal to the mass market and American taste the Elio will have to offer the basic creature comforts that most people are accustomed to. Not to do this will spell doom for the car.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
guess I'm getting old .... OK, no guessing about it, I am old .... been there, done that with bare bones vehicles .... my first was a '65 Jeep CJ-5 .... no top, no power anything (not even a power windshield wiper on the passenger's side), heater was an option that came in box in the back of the Jeep .... had a great time in it but have no desire to repeat such an experience .... the ride reports have been of earlier generation Elios .... from what I've seen reported, each of the P series has been an improvement on the prior model .... it will really be interesting to read the real world reports on the 100 scheduled to be produced in December

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been watching many videos on youtube of Elio prototype test drives - those few lucky individuals who somehow managed to find themselves behind the wheel of an Elio prototype.

They tepidly like the car, but all of them [except one] complain of heavy steering, excessive cockpit noise, cramped passenger seating, etc... Whine whine whine. What a bunch of crybabies.

Those things are what make the Elio attractive to me. I don't want power steering. I want to feel the road in my hands. I want to hear the motor and tranny working. The passenger is complaining about headroom? So what. Kick his butt out and make him walk. He'll have plenty of headroom walking. :D

I really like the concept of a spartan vehicle. My first car was a '71 Datsun 240Z. The guy i bought it from had stripped it for racing. If it didn't make the car go, or make the car stop, it got ripped out.

Your example of a spartan 240Z provides the answer you're looking for. When you get your Elio, strip it to your heart's content. You'll get the Elio you want, and I'll get the Elio I want. Win-win.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
hear the motor
feel the road
smell some fumes

Exactly.

In the spirit of the original auto-cycle the Morgan.
Morgan1.jpg

Now, that was a mans car. Bare-bones, air-cooled V-twin engine, open cockpit, loud, smelly, and the desire of anyone who laid eyes on one.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have to admit that the Morgan is a gorgeous vehicle. I'd love to take one for a drive down some twisty-turny country roads. that would have to be an experience you wouldn't soon forget. But as an everyday commuter car, it's completely impractical. Which probably contributes to it being "fun".

As for my Elio, I think I'll stick with the standard creature comforts. I need reliable, daily transportation right now. Maybe some day i'll be able to afford a vehicle for nothing more than fun.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As for my Elio, I think I'll stick with the standard creature comforts. I need reliable, daily transportation right now. Maybe some day i'll be able to afford a vehicle for nothing more than fun.

yep. This is why the Elio will be such a big hit - It kills many birds with one stone.

The wifelet and I already have the vehicles we need. [ F-150, HD Road King ]

We're old enough now to finally get a vehicle we want.

Everyone has their own reason(s) for purchasing an Elio. All are valid. I suspect that the Elio is targeted for the eco-conscious millennials, but the appeal goes way beyond that.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
yep. This is why the Elio will be such a big hit - It kills many birds with one stone.

The wifelet and I already have the vehicles we need. [ F-150, HD Road King ]

We're old enough now to finally get a vehicle we want.

Everyone has their own reason(s) for purchasing an Elio. All are valid. I suspect that the Elio is targeted for the eco-conscious millennials, but the appeal goes way beyond that.
One of the biggest consumer groups in this forum are people over 55 that can no longer ride and want to get back in the wind any way they can; at least that's what we have found with the active members here; I can't speak for most of the other reservation holders.
When I've talked to the tour group, they said that their prime target is the used car market; and that makes sense. What kind of used car can you find for under $10K in decent shape? Not many. This is a new vehicle, with a warranty for a price that no used car in that price range can come close to "with a warranty and the same feature list".

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score

SkyChief, Welcome to the forum with its many knowledgeable members. I'm certain if the Elio is too quiet you can do the same as the guy who originally owned the 240Z. Strip out the necessary parts to give it the sound and feel you want. That's the beauty of the Elio it can be almost anything you want or can imagine. Welcome and enjoy the Elio experience

Top Bottom