• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll - Are You Or Have You Ever Been A Motorcycle Rider?

Current, Former, or never been a Motorcycle rider

• Total voters

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There had been the logical occasional discussions on here and the Facebook Elio page about the Elio and safety and classification as a motorcycle and maybe a new classification of an auto-cycle.

I'm curious to see how many people are current or former motorcycle riders that are on this forum. I think it is obvious the % would be high for riders vs. non riders, but that is just my assumption. I am a former rider and have an agreement with my wife that I cannot own a motorcycle again until my kids are all grown up, but the Elio is clearly safe enough that she has no problem with me getting one.

I know many have concerns over safety, but I guess that no one that is a current or former motorcycle rider is concerned about the safety of the Elio.

Of course, feel free to expand upon this topic.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I am a current motorcycle rider and see the Elio as the perfect companion vehicle for when it is too hot/cold or wet to comfortably ride as I no longer enjoy it as much in those conditions as I used to. I heard about Elio from another motorcyclist and have found that of all the people I mention it to current or former motorcyclists are most likely to have a positive opinion.

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Wanted a bike when I was younger but had 2 friends about get killed by hitting and getting hit by deer, that darkened my bike dreams quick.

bird

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have ridden since 16 years old and have one now but I did give it up when my son was young. I agree with all the above you all have mentioned. Too hot, too cold, too wet. I might add, too many crazies. I want to be driving something I am inside, comfortable, all year, in all kinds of weather.

Frank Smith

Elio Fan
Reaction score
There had been the logical occasional discussions on here and the Facebook Elio page about the Elio and safety and classification as a motorcycle and maybe a new classification of an auto-cycle.

I'm curious to see how many people are current or former motorcycle riders that are on this forum. I think it is obvious the % would be high for riders vs. non riders, but that is just my assumption. I am a former rider and have an agreement with my wife that I cannot own a motorcycle again until my kids are all grown up, but the Elio is clearly safe enough that she has no problem with me getting one.

I know many have concerns over safety, but I guess that no one that is a current or former motorcycle rider is concerned about the safety of the Elio.

Of course, feel free to expand upon this topic.
My wife and I are leaving NC Friday morning on our Goldwing for Key West. We will go by Daytona Beach on the way to see the P4. I have already seen the P3. We plan to add $900 to the $100 I paid down last June.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I also have a agreement with my wife that I will not own a motorcycle again. I am extremely competitive and it gets in the way of sound judgement. After taking my wife which was my girlfriend at the time on a ride through a windy mountain road through a hundred knee dragging turns and more than a few 140-150mph straight aways. She was done and feared for my life every time I went out on a ride with my friends. Looking back I'm surprised I survived that phase of my life. Now with two beautiful daughters and a wonderful wife I stay away from things with two wheels.

Pretty lousy resolution, but here's a few pics of my old bike.

unude4ud.jpg

uqajyryd.jpg

The day that these photos were taken I wrecked doing an 80mph wheely in 3rd gear. My friend and I had a photographer taking photos and he captured five photos of the wreck in action. I'll try and find them and post them. I some how walked away and went to work two hours later with a little road rash. That bike was my daily transportation for about four years rain or shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R80RTWoody

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Presently licensed in Alaska. Have toured a good part of the Alaska road system and made a trip down the ALCAN Hwy two years ago then back to Alaska this summer on a "AirHead" BMW. Farm Boy has it right, my Elio will be equipped with Driver LEDs for night driving. On my Feb trip (2 wheel Toyota truck) with the LEDs saw Elk, Moose, Deer (White Tail & Mule) and Woods Bison. Not saying that I wouldn't have seen them without the LEDs but they certainly stood out when hit with the Drivers. Also saw a Wolverine that I would not have seen with the Toy head lights!
Have a set of ATV tracks (wheel replacement) in the basement that I need to mount on the Honda Foreman. Looking at the Elio, I can easely imagine a set on the front with a fixed ski - with a skag- replacing the back wheel. There is probably a place on the frame where the bar that keeps the track from flipping over could be attached. Forum member "Outtaget1" has part of this idea in his "Avatar". A thought for future use, down the road or trail!

Top Bottom