• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Emission Laws In Kalifornia

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is currently considered a motorcycle so it is exempt from smog testing. No PCV valves or catalytic converters necessary. For now.

But you can bet our "friends" in Sacramento will want to put a stop to that. I've heard rumors that they will re-classify autocycles so they must conform with C.A.R.B. emission standards.

My question is, if/when this happens, will existing Elios operating be forced to be retrofit with smog devices, or will they be "grandfathered" and still maintain emissions exempt status?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In CA and not worried. I think the good folks at IAV and ELIO knew and thought about emission standards while making the Elio engine.

While not specific on the emission standards, I think the four following stories will lend some clarity to emission issues.

The Elio Engine Part 1
---> https://www.eliomotors.com/the-elio-engine-part-1/ <---
The Elio Engine Part 2
---> https://www.eliomotors.com/the-elio-engine-part-2/ <---
(explains the two-step valve lift system (VVA) which uses switching tappets)
(It also calls it potential but never heard more)
The Elio Engine Part 3
---> https://www.eliomotors.com/the-elio-engine-part-3/ <---
The Elio Engine Part 4
---> https://www.eliomotors.com/tech-talk-elio-engine-part-4/ <---

Hope this is helpful.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks WilliamH. One of those links did help somewhat. It answers the question "Does the Elio have any emission-control systems?"

The answer is yes. EGR, PCV, and EVAP are components of the emission-reduction system.

"There are many components in the control system of the Elio Powertrain. The first is the engine control unit (ECU) which also can be incorporated into a powertrain control module (PCM). The ECU is a computer with software that controls the various subsystems on the engine. These subsystems include fuel injection, ignition, variable valve timing (VVT), throttle, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) and evaporative emissions canister (EVAP). To accomplish this task the ECU must receive many signals (information) from various sensors such as accelerator pedal position, throttle position, intake manifold air temperature, intake manifold pressure, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, oil temperature and the coolant temperature sensors."

Which is good to know.. Of course, the remaining question is Will the Elio emission-control system a pass smog test as it stands now? C.A.R.B. has some unbelievably stringent emission standards, and it is questionable if the Elio can meet these parameters without a cat.

I reckon we wont know until the first California Elio goes up on a test stand. I know it wont be mine. :whistle:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Since California is one of the top 3 over all in reservations, I'm sure Elio Motors has checked the aspects of meeting the CA emissions.
I don't think they would like losing that many sales because of emissions.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks WilliamH. One of those links did help somewhat. It answers the question "Does the Elio have any emission-control systems?"

The answer is yes. EGR, PCV, and EVAP are components of the emission-reduction system.

"There are many components in the control system of the Elio Powertrain. The first is the engine control unit (ECU) which also can be incorporated into a powertrain control module (PCM). The ECU is a computer with software that controls the various subsystems on the engine. These subsystems include fuel injection, ignition, variable valve timing (VVT), throttle, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) and evaporative emissions canister (EVAP). To accomplish this task the ECU must receive many signals (information) from various sensors such as accelerator pedal position, throttle position, intake manifold air temperature, intake manifold pressure, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, oil temperature and the coolant temperature sensors."

Which is good to know.. Of course, the remaining question is Will the Elio emission-control system a pass smog test as it stands now? C.A.R.B. has some unbelievably stringent emission standards, and it is questionable if the Elio can meet these parameters without a cat.

I reckon we wont know until the first California Elio goes up on a test stand. I know it wont be mine. :whistle:

Eastern Catalytic will be providing the catalytic converters for Elio.
Hope that helps.
---> https://www.eliomotors.com/about-elio/#suppliers <---

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like they will be supplying the "complete" exhaust system, from the exhaust port to the end of the tailpipe.
Their address is 2151 Cabot Blvd. W, Langhorne, Pa.

Last edited:
Top Bottom