• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is my point, and it can't be repeated too often. It especially matters for those of us who need long distance glasses to drive. I can see a needle, but I cannot read numbers without taking my eyes off the road for several seconds. And a tach -- forget it, it will be moving at the same time, presumably far faster than the speedo, which makes it difficult to read even for the young with excellent vision.
A needle also conveys a second piece of info that even a numeric readout doesn't do well -- rate of change. I rode in a car which had an analog speedo and numeric tach -- I can only conclude that both that designer and the Elgin fanbois have never actually used a tach for much of anything dynamic. A numeric speedo sucks for those using long distance glasses. A numeric tach is a waste of dash.
I have bifocal driving glasses so reading the instruments is no problem. I recommend them to others.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm just speculating, but I think the Elio designers and engineers have tested the Elgin dash for readability and it reads for the vast majority and perhaps even all licensed drivers. I hope we get the opportunity to find out in 2016 once and for all. I don't think Elio stuck the Elgin into the dash soley for sentimental reasons, as an engineer, he considered function first and foremost, since form follows function.

I don't need a speedo, I can sense speed in the flow of traffic. RPMs don't care unless I was driving a stick or paddle shifters in a high performance vehicle. I'd settle for idiot lights for temp and oil pressure.
Whole lot of assumtion going on there Rick.
I think you generously give more credit than there is any indication that credit is due on this issue.
I never like having to settle for less when there's absolutely no good reason to do so.
Once again, I remind that the majority of those who have indicated an opinion have indicated similar sentiments.
Before others chime in with the same ol' same ol', I don't see any admirable reason here either, just obstinate selfish vanity.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Whole lot of assumtion going on there Rick.
I think you generously give more credit than there is any indication that credit is due on this issue.
I never like having to settle for less when there's absolutely no good reason to do so.
Once again, I remind that the majority of those who have indicated an opinion have indicated similar sentiments.
Before others chime in with the same ol' same ol', I don't see any admirable reason here either, just obstinate selfish vanity.
I've been operating on Eliosumptions since '08. The only credit due at this ponit in time is for a good idea and the ability to sell it to so many reservationists. I can't deny your claim of obstinate selfish vanity.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think Elio stuck the Elgin into the dash soley for sentimental reasons, as an engineer, he considered function first and foremost, since form follows function.

Alternatively... I suspect the Elgin dash is cheaper to manufacture. As Elio is a businessman, this will appeal to him. As Elio is a salesman, he'll know to spin it in a different direction.

I don't need a speedo, I can sense speed in the flow of traffic.

That works great until it's 2AM and the only two cars on the road are you and the Highway Patrol.... And that's *exactly* how I got my first speeding ticket (in a car with a busted speedo).

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Alternatively... I suspect the Elgin dash is cheaper to manufacture. As Elio is a businessman, this will appeal to him. As Elio is a salesman, he'll know to spin it in a different direction.

That works great until it's 2AM and the only two cars on the road are you and the Highway Patrol.... And that's *exactly* how I got my first speeding ticket (in a car with a busted speedo).
There is no chance I will be out driving at 2AM, those days are long gone. lol Wait a minute, first speeding ticket? Sounds like more than one.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
200px-LordJamesBruceElgin.jpg

It's ironic that Lord Elgin stood for choice and an individual's right to self-determination . He is credited for establishing the principles on which the Canadian government stands today.
And we have no option but to look at his cheesy instrument cluster .

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 5740
It's ironic that Lord Elgin stood for choice and an individual's right to self-determination . He is credited for establishing the principles on which the Canadian government stands today.

We all have the "choice" ...to either buy the Elio or to buy something else. :);)

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 5740
You have a choice, replace it with something else....just like if a restaurant brings your meal with onions on it you can take them off.

Top Bottom