• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of an Elio Forum's female members (possibly this one, or -- Elioclub.org --), said that looking at the proposed dash; reminded her of a pair of "Steel Boobs" staring at her! Maybe she has seen too many of those Viking Operas. View attachment 2187 View attachment 2188
The bra with the two hubcaps is good external protection (renaissance style). The opposite picture of the dash shows a lot of idiot lights. They were referenced as idiot light because by the time they come on, that indicates that componet on your Elio has failed. I prefer an indicatior that shows me a progressive indicator that I can see a change indicator from a normal to abnormal zone/mode. Then I make the decison to stop and examine/evaluate before failure.
Terrence :)

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That street sweepers dash the water / oil indicator shows a range of visual indicating - that is better than an idiot light.
Glad we have the freedom here to comment/discuss.:) Terrence
That is because it is an Elgin streetsweeper, not an Elgin dash.

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elgin Dash, Yes or No.

If No, then what?
Elio_interior.jpg

upload_2014-4-27_21-0-22-jpeg.731.jpg
I would like the most trouble free, and reliable option, however, my favorites from the past were; 65 VW Bug, Jeep CJ2, 55 Chevy Belair. I hope this flavors the pot. It is important in that it leaves a very lasting impression, and I grow accustomed to the windshield wiper effect of a tachometer. Having driven commercially for many years, and scanning instrumentation, and mirrors every 7-10 seconds, it is not the digit that is watched but the relative position of the arm/s, and movement, or flicker in the mirror. The Officer pulls you over and asks if you know how fast you were going? I must say, "not really Officer". Being alert and focused, and staying as far as possible away from congested traffic is a priority if dying a natural death is one of your goals, whether it be 45, or 75 MPH.

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems like the Elgin dash sparks either intense hatred or intense likes, but not much in between. I would imagine an aftermarket package to swap out the entire dash to be available. Maybe not immediately, but at some point. I'm not a fan of the Elgin dash, but perhaps when I see it rather than just pictures.

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Old fashioned, I know, but give me the gauges with pointer indicators that are backlit, please. As one who has booked a zillion miles, like Edward43, I learned long ago to be scanning the road ahead, the road behind, and the instruments, constantly. No vehicle should ever surprise you, because you should KNOW it is there, and you should also know if your engine temperature is climbing, oil pressure is dropping, voltage is falling, because you can see it happening.
OK, I know lots of you don't want that much information or to pay that much attention to your vehicle. Maybe gauges backed up with alarms....

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm with Johnpool and Edward43, plain old simple ,traditional analog needles. I do not want to have to read the instrments, just a glance please,important stuff is outside. Can't say it's a dealbreaker but definately a big negative in my eyes. My son's Ninga has an eletronic display, I can't even tell if I'm running out of gas without staring at the stupid thing .My K75, only a passing glance to know everything necessary,no gas gage,every 200 miles takes care of that:) Simplicity
That display is in front of the driver constantly and should not be a loveit or hate it design. This is the ONLY aspect of the Elio that I question.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
just to make sure I know what is being considered, is the dash shown in the picture below the one that is projected to be installed ?
elio11_interior2.jpg

if not, can someone post a picture of the one they are going to install ?

Jim

Top Bottom