• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Elgin dash. Disliked it as soon as I saw it. I'm a pilot and have built two airplanes. I can tell you from experience that analog gauges either mechanical or electronically drawn are the fastest way to acquire information. In addition to knowing precisely what is happening just by the positioning of the needle, you can also determine rate and change in rate. Displaying numbers forces your brain to reinterpret the data causing delay. Not saying you couldn't get use to it. Just saying I think the Elgin idea sucks from the start. However within a year I would imagine there would be aftermarket companies that would be happy to rewire your dash in many different ways.

Jelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elgin Dash, Yes or No.

If No, then what?
Elio_interior.jpg

upload_2014-4-27_21-0-22-jpeg.731.jpg
Whoever did this dash photo work I love it! My new background picture!

Jelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Follow the KISS principle and let me be able drive it out of the factory without any add on
I'm with you. Keep the price down and let me add what I want. The Elgin is original and the folks I work with think its cool too. But this is about original intent...keep it inexpensive. We can all modify it to what we like... just sayin

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Continental just announced a Head's Up display for cars. Since they're doing the instrument package, maybe this could become an option? The 'Top Gun' package could include sidewinder missiles mounted on the front wheel assemblies and a fire button on the gear shift. I dare any big SUV to cut me off ;)

More seriously, my 2006 Civic has a large, digital speedometer above the main dash, in it's own instrument cluster. Having those easy to read numbers just below my line of vision has been nice. Last I checked, Honda had kept that feature through 2 Civic 'updates', so it must be working for them. "Head's Up" would be even better. Certainly too expensive for the base car, though, and maybe too complicated for an "Final Assembly Center' option.

http://www.cnet.com/news/continental-offers-cheaper-head-up-displays-for-cars/

http://www.conti-online.com/www/aut...r/instrumentation_displays/pi_head_up_en.html

Top Bottom