• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10 Scariest Cars

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
They forgot to include the Ford Pinto and the Pontiac Fiero.
Both had a knack for bursting into flames while being driven.
I think the Pinto had a FIRE button on the back bumper :eek:

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
PINTOS DID THE FLAME-ON THING WHEN HIT IN THE REAR .
IN 1977 I WAS IN A PINTO & WAS RUN OVER BY A BUICK .

NO FLAMES BUT THE RADIO DID FALL OUT OF THE DASH AND
WAS STILL PLAYING MUSIC WHEN THEY CUT ME OUT OF THE CAR !

THE JAWS OF LIFE ARE AWESOME & I STILL HAVE AN 18" STEEL ROD IN MY LEG AS A SOUVENIR .
It must be a Witch (with a B) to get through airport security. Do you carry a medical card that explains its a steel rod? Or do you like to mess with TSA?;)

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Pinto was maligned by a tragic incident and over zealous media . The real issue with the Pinto was not the design itself but Ford's now famous risk/benefit analysis . Ford's bean counters came up with a statistical analysis for design change vs. consumer lawsuit. There is a mountain of reading on the subject, but the bottom line is the Pinto was factually no more dangerous than any other car . After selling over 2 million of them and even more models based on the same platform , the pressure of "Mother Jones" magazine and 60 minute pieces doomed the car.
A similar slam doomed the Corvair a decade before by an up and coming lawyer who never owned a car , but wrote his now famous book .

Interesting note : lee Iococa's vision for the Pinto was that the car was not to exceed $2000 in cost or 2000 pounds in weight for fuel savings .

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The company I worked for at the time tried a couple of '74 Pinto wagons when the cost of fuel went stratospheric - to show our customers we were ecologically aware. Nuts to that! I wasn't assigned one, but one of my guys was, and after a couple of months, he parked it alongside the road and caught a bus, refusing to drive it another inch. I picked it up and had it's ignition system traced for its habit of stalling at speed. It would typically quit out on the road when you'd just passed a big semi. Like you turned off the key. We dug up a new car for my man, and he was happy. I drove the Pinto for a couple of days, decided it was OK and planned to haul it back to our HQ in Lake Charles for reassignment.

Except it didn't make it. At rush hour on a high-speed surface street the right front brake pad welded up, put me into a utility pole and itself out of its misery. It wasn't but about six months old, but it went to the crusher, having tried to kill at least three of us. Stephen King, take note. That Pinto might have been the prototype for Christine.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
237607.jpg

They forgot to include the Ford Pinto and the Pontiac Fiero.
Both had a knack for bursting into flames while being driven.
I think the Pinto had a FIRE button on the back bumper :eek:
I knew of the Pinto have fire problems but I did not realize the Fiero had them. Found an article on it.
Car Buzz.
I knew the first ones had reliability problems. The newer didn't but sales were down because of the reputation of the first ones. I thought the Fiero was a nice design.

Top Bottom